Saturday, April 23, 2016

Paris... For the Lack of a Creative Title Before Finals Week

Last week, we went on our second and final excursion to Colmar, Beaune, and Paris for a week. Keep in mind, this happened after the Bonn marathon and we were taking a bus to get to Paris, which made for one interesting ride with sore legs. We got up really early in the morning and met at the old AIB in preparation to go to Colmar. Once we arrived, we went to see the Isenheim Alter, among many other pieces of art regarding the death of resurrection of Jesus. It was a really cool museum, and we also got to explore Colmar in the short time that we were there. Overall, it was a very interesting museum, and we learned a lot about the different art work of the time period and the beliefs of people at that time regarding the healing powers of religion. We then continued on to Beaune, where we had a delicious group dinner.

The following day, we got up and went on a tour of the Hospices Civil de Beaune and learned about the hospital that was once in operation there. I was amazed at the different operations within the hospital, and it was crazy to think that if I were in that time period, I would probably be working in a hospital similar to that one. We then took a walk around Beaune and got to enjoy the beautiful environment that France had to offer. We then left to go to Paris. My first impression of Paris from just outside the city was that it was the closest thing to a large American city that I had seen since I had arrived in France, and I knew that I would like it because of this. I was really surprised by the hospitality and politeness of some of the French, for I had heard stories about their pride and general dislike for American tourists, but I did not have any trouble with anyone. That night, we had a crepe dinner, which was delicious, and hung out for a little bit in anticipation for the next day.

During our first full day in Paris, we went on a bike tour of the city, seeing the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Parliament building, two military academies, and many other sights. Throughout the rest of the week, we saw the Pastuer Institute, the Louvre, Notre Dame, the Shakespeare and Co bookstore, Versailles, and a lot of Paris. I was very impressed with Paris, and I think that, after Berlin, Paris was my favorite city was Paris. My favorite part of the trip, however, was going to the top of the Eiffel Tower at night, for it provided a great view of the city and is a very iconic part of Paris. I was also very impressed by the artwork at the Louvre and seeing the Mona Lisa in person. Another really special moment was being able to see Versailles and having a picnic in the gardens, which was an experience that I will never forget.

One of the craziest parts of Paris was the fact that I had to register for my classes on a very questionable Wi-Fi connection in the middle of our hotel at 12:30 in the morning. I was very fortunate in that I was able to get all of the classes that I wanted, and my schedule was relatively good.

Overall, the trip was awesome, and I thoroughly enjoyed traveling with the whole class again. If trying to plan for 25 people wasn't such a hassle, I would really enjoy traveling with the whole group more often. One day, I would like to return to Paris and get to explore it more, for I feel like the four days that I was there was not enough to really get the full effect of being in Paris. I am really surprised by how much I enjoyed the city, despite even knowing less French than I know German (which is quite an accomplishment, actually). Paris is definitely one of my top cities to return to one day. Until next time, I will attach some of my favorite pictures of France to this blog.







No comments:

Post a Comment