Saturday, April 23, 2016

I would run 500 Miles and I would run 500 more- Bonn Marathon Weekend

This weekend (or to be accurate, three weekends ago, but who is really keeping track), was the Bonn marathon weekend. Finally, after more than a month and a half of preparing to run this half marathon, Gunnar and I were actually ready to run what we had imagined to be a relatively easy run. We were running with several classmates, including Kyle, Ryan, Jay, and Sandra, and several others were running in the relays. We were given really cool dry fit Bonn Marathon shirts, as well as numbers and trackers to get our official times. I was really excited about this weekend and set out to finish around 2 hours, although never having run a half marathon, I actually had no idea how to pace myself or what a good time for me would be. Going in to the run, I only had three goals 1) finish the half marathon (hopefully in one piece) 2) finish in around 2 hours and 3) don't walk the entire time.

The day before the marathon, we did probably about the smartest thing to do before running a half marathon: playing frisbee in the park for two hours. We had a good 6 on 6 game going, and it was awesome to be able to enjoy such good weather in the park with great friends. We were all so thrilled, in fact, that we decided that we should make an intramural frisbee team back at A&M when we get back, and I really hope that it happens. The rest of the day was spent relaxing and preparing for the long run the next day before going to bed at a reasonable hour (probably earlier than I've gone to bed in the past 2 years).

We got up super early and prepared for what we knew would be a long day. We all met at the AIB and snacked on some fruit before the run. Upon trying to get to the starting line, we noticed that there were a ton of people running this marathon and that we would not be starting the marathon on time. It took us 45 minutes to get to the starting line, and then we were off. The first half of the half marathon was a breeze. Having run track before college, I knew how much I hated being boxed in by other runners, and so I took off ahead of the group because it was getting really crowded. When I hit the half way point, I was feeling great. I was running a consistent 5 minute and 30 second kilometer pace, and I was really proud of my progress. The run was beautiful, and I could not have asked for better weather to run. When I hit kilometer number 11, I noticed a drink stand that looked a little different from the rest of the drink stands I had previously passed. These German guys had set up a table with cups filled with all sorts of beers, and having already run half of the race and feeling great, I decided to reward myself with some Kölsch. Funnily enough, after looking at all of my splits for each kilometer, my fastest kilometers were the one in which I drank the beer followed by the one before it in which I spotted the stand. The next couple of kilometers went just as well for me.

Once I hit kilometer number 16, I began to cramp in one of my legs, but it was bearable and I was able to keep running. As I went along, however, I really began to get cramps all over my legs to the point to where my legs completely locked out at one point. Luckily, the water, sports drink, and banana stands, as well as some helpful pedestrians who had sugar cubes on them, helped me to finish the race, and with the crowd cheering me on, I sprinted across the finish line with a time of 2 hours 4 minutes and 35 seconds. I was then rewarded with my effort with my legs once again locking out, and I was taken into the medical stand and was allowed to drink some fluids and relax. I got to talk to another kid about my age from Germany who had finished the half marathon before me and ended his race by falling across the finish line and breaking his wrist, but overall, I was really impressed with the sense of community that Bonn had about the finish line. Everyone was given a medal for finishing the race, and it was a really cool souvenir from the weekend.

After leaving the medical tent, I proceeded to eat 2 crepes, 2 apples, 6 bananas, 2 sausages, 6 meatballs, a couple of donuts, and had several sports drinks. I thought I would never be full again. The rest of the day was spend lounging around the house trying to relax, and that night was one of the best sleeps that I have ever had. Luckily, I was only sore for one more day, for we were leaving to go to France and had to ride in a bus for several hours.

Although I didn't accomplish my dream of not walking, and finished slightly over an hour, I was very proud of myself for not having really trained for the marathon as I probably should have. It was a very rewarding experience and will be an amazing story for years to come. It was also cool to be able to experience my very first long distance run in a new country with thousands of strangers cheering me on. I really enjoyed the experience and will cherish it forever. Until next time, I leave you with a before and after picture of our group. Aufweidersein baby!





No comments:

Post a Comment