Monday, April 4, 2016

A Big Event(ful) Weekend

A Weekend of Gardening and Hiking...

How is this my twelfth blog post! This week and weekend were just as eventful despite not travelling. On Friday, our program went to the Museum of Anesthesia right here in Bonn. The museum was really interesting. It allowed you to walk through the history of pain management, from Morton’s use of ether to modern-day machines equipped with all sorts of monitoring devices. The tour was led by Dr. Wasser…I swear, Dr. Wasser could lead any tour he wanted. I feel like he knows so much about everything! The museum also had a mock set-up of a 1930s surgical suite, which I really liked. It took you back in time and showed you how far medicine had come at that point and how far it has advanced nowadays.

Saturday was the international big event. I think it’s awesome that our program still got to take part in this Aggie tradition even while living abroad. We met at the old AIB in the morning to kick-off this charity event. There were sandwiches, pretzels, fruit, and coffee for all of us. AIB is so kind. We then broke off into our teams and went to complete our respective projects.

My team went to a retirement home near Bad Godesberg and worked to clean up a garden that the residents like to enjoy. We weeded garden beds for almost 4 hours! The garden beds looked so much better after we finished, and the people working there were so pleased. It’s a great feeling to know that our work will be enjoyed by all of the residents of the retirement home. After gardening, I was exhausted and went home to take a much deserved nap.

On Sunday, a friend and I hiked up to Drachenberg Castle. The hike was a little steep at some points, but we made it to the castle and even the ruins at the very top. The castle was right out of a fairy tale. The view from the castle was spectacular. I told my host-mom about visiting the castle, and she said her parents took her there when she was a little girl. She said she decided as a little girl that she wanted to live there when she grew up.

Before making it up to the ruins, we stopped to eat lunch at a restaurant. I had a great lunch of smoked salmon and potatoes, and it gave me enough energy to make it to the very top. The ruins were cool to see. A lot of kids were playing on them; I wanted to join, but I figured I should just take in the view. The view of the Rhine and the mountains was so beautiful…definitely worth the sore legs. After climbing back down to the bottom, we passed a gelato place and gave in to the urge to get some. The place had my favorite flavor, Amarena (black cherry), so I was perfectly content.

After getting home, it was time to study, as our second physiology test is next week. There is so much material on this next exam! I will be in hard-core study mode this next week up until the exam on Friday. On Tuesday, however, my dad is coming to visit for an evening. He has a business trip in Europe next week. One of his stops is in Dusseldorf, so he is making a pit stop in Bonn so we can have dinner and hang out. It will be really nice to see him in person rather than through FaceTime.

The sunday after the exam is the Bonn Marathon! I am signed up to run the relay. I haven’t really been training, but I figured I’ll just keep running until I physically can’t, then take a break, and repeat until I finish my leg of the race. Something even more exciting follows the marathon. The week after, our program will be in Paris! I love France, and I’m excited to finally use the four years of French I took in high school. I just need to get through this upcoming exam and 6 miles before I’m in Paris.

À bientôt, Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment