Monday, February 6, 2017

Week 3

This week has been the longest week of my life. It was extremely fun, exhausting, and interesting at the same time. It began on Monday morning with an exam. It wasn't too bad but it was a fairly stressful start to a week that I knew was going to take everything I had. Tuesday morning was an early start with us having to be in Bonn ready to leave at 4:45. The trip there isn't really in my memory because I slept nearly the whole way. Once in Vienna, we started off with an extremely long city tour with Dr. Schnabel. Turns out Dr. Schnabel is actually Dr. Wasser wearing a crazy costume. While the tour was interesting, it was extremely cold and walking around was miserable. Later in the day, we went and toured these amazing catacombs. Sadly, we weren't allowed to take pictures because it was awesome. We got to see tons of bones as well as coffins and mummies. It was so cool and I really would like to go back someday. Lastly, we went to the goulash museum and had a super good meal.

As far as the medical side of the trip, we did three things. First we went to the Narrenturm which was an old insane asylum that is now filled with wax models of skin diseases. I thought this was extremely interesting because I would ultimately like to be a dermatologist. Then we went to the Josephinum which also had wax medical models but these were of the whole body and specific parts of the body. They were so cool to see and I'd imagine it would've been a cool way to learn medical. Lastly, we went to the Sigmund Freud house and had a lecture there and then toured it. I thought this was fairly interesting, but I am not a fan of Sigmund Freud or his psychoanalysis.

In our free time, we chose to go to the Schönbrunn palace and zoo. We visited the zoo first and it was so amazing. All of the animals were so active and they had the cutest polar bear ever. There was also penguins, leopards, and elephants all of which I enjoyed seeing. Although, we accidentally spent too much time at the zoo and missed getting to go into the palace before it closed. We also went ice skating which was super fun and in the most beautiful location but also really bad because Alexa ended up getting hurt. We also spent a lot of time in the coffee shops getting pastries, coffee, and hot chocolate. Overall, I really loved Vienna and want to back as soon as possible. I feel like I didn't get to do everything that I wanted to and so a trip back is needed.

After Vienna, we want to Prague. While Prague was beautiful, it definitely wasn't my favorite city. There was a lot to see and do but everything was completely covered in tourists and tourist traps. One thing that I really enjoyed was the food in Prague. There were a lot of street stands that sold really good food for really cheap.

While this week was long, it was very eventful and really enjoyable. We got to see a lot of things and go to places I never would have known to go if I were alone. This upcoming week will be spent at AIB catching up on homework because of it, but it was totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment