Monday, February 20, 2017

I've Been in Germany for a Month and I Haven't Even Noticed - Week 5

Bonn, Germany
February 13th - 19th

Another week of pure school. School, school, and more school. The amount of work I have to do is ridiculous. My host mom looks at me like I'm crazy when she sees me always doing homework at the dinner table because my room is a trap. There's a nice comfy bed in there that calls and beckons me toward it. I have officially made the table my new designated homework space, when the family isn't eating of course. And it's nice because there's a lot that goes on downstairs and the noises I hear actually help me to focus. Anyway, school is taking over my life and these next two weeks are going to be torture but it's all worth it because in two weeks time, I get to go to France for a week and then it's Spring Beak after that!!! So excited!!!!

I still can't fully grasp the fact that a month and a week has gone by since I've been in Germany. There are so many feelings and thoughts that flood my mind when I think about it: 1.) I feel like I've been here forever, 2.) I still don't know the language and that was made apparent to me this weekend, and 3.) I really like it here and don't think I ever want to go back home. Maybe I'll consider pursuing medical school here in Germany. All I have to do is become fluent enough in the language...

Leverkusen, Germany
February 15th

All of us at Bayer.
We got to go to Bayer this week and learn all about the company and what they do. We didn't see the actual company buildings but instead saw the building that is open to the public. It's hard to describe but I will attempt at it. The building is designed so that Bayer is able to promote their company with tours for the public along with promoting their drive to try and expose children to science and engineering at a younger age.  This is done by allowing the kinds to come to this building and go into a special lab with their teachers and preform a science experiment as a field trip. The building also has a series of interactive exhibits that the kids, or all of my classmates and I, can enjoy and learn from. It was very interesting to say the least and I got to see an application of what an engineer could do first had within a corporate setting.

Bonn, Germany (Kessenich)
February 18th

A pretty successful weekend if I do say so myself.
I joined my eldest host sister at a small Karneval parade this weekend in the village know as Kessenich. It was nothing like I ever imagined. Everyone was in costume, adults and children alike. Even the teens participated as well. The costumes ranged from political puns, to clowns, to steam punk people, to animal onesies. You name it and it was there. I myself wore a red tutu and a red nose like a clown. At the beginning, I felt very out of place since my host sister was talking with her father and his family while I stood and watched all of the people go by. Eventually, some of the group started to introduce themselves and realized I was an American in Germany studying for school. They also told me that I wasn't allowed to speak English because German is the language of Karneval. They tried to talk German with me and let's just say that we go absolutely no where. This was the moment that it really dawned on me. I have an amazing opportunity to completely immerse myself in another culture and learn the language and yet I'm still barely able to speak and form small sentences. I can listen to conversations and make out some words, and I can read some things but my vocabulary is extremely limited. My host sister's uncle gave me some good advice and told me to soak it all up, find some German friends to hang out with, and try to learn the language. He asked if my host mother spoke German to me and when I said no, he told me I should ask her if she could so that I may be able to practice. Overall, the Karneval Parade was an eye opener in many ways. I learned life lessons and also got to partake in an incredible tradition. The idea that a whole city will come together as one to dress up and celebrate a wonderful time is astounding to me, especially since we don't have anything like this in the states. I do have to say, aside from the conversing, my favorite part was the parade and how when you scream Kamelle, people would throw candy at you. Let's just say I'm fully loaded with an assortment of haribo and other sweets and I can't wait for the actual Karneval event to start this Thursday and go on till next Monday! Just have to figure out what I'm going to dress up as....


1 comment:

  1. Try writing a few sentences of your next post in German. :) Enjoy Karnevall tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete