Thursday, February 9, 2017

Week 3: Home & Vienna (part 2)

The most memorable moments in Vienna happened during dinner time. The first couple of nights we all engorged ourselves with goulash, wine, and desserts. I had front row seats to the comic relief that was Alexa, when she broke her chair and dropped a lit candle in her lap shortly afterward.  The following days, it was up to us to provide our own dinner which is normally no problem. However, Sarahi, one of my hotel roomies, was misinformed in thinking that we had a microwave in the room. So myself, Sarahi, and Kimberly all decided to save some money by getting microwaveable food and some cereal to hold us over for the night. When we returned to the room it was clear that Sarahi had mistaken the Safety Box for a microwave, and additionally there were no bowls or spoons for the cereal. Being the clever and innovative students we are, we ate cereal out of wine glasses, heated packaged spaghetti in a sink full of hot water, and pre-made miniature pizzas with a hair dryer. Easily the highlight of the dining experiences.

The remaining portion of the excursion consisted of broken bones (shockingly not mine), sleep deprivation, more medical wax models, fancy dancing horses, and dinosaurs? Our tour of the Josephinum where a plethora of anatomical wax sculptures decorated rooms in an artistic and intellectual manner. I could spend time describing each of the muscular skinless figures, but it is truly something to experience yourself.  On the Final day in Vienna, the group gathered what was left of our enthusiasm and energy and headed to the Spanish Riding School and the Natural History Museum. Which was pretty friggin cool, there were dinosaurs, some weird looking chickens, and loads of rocks (or meteors as scientists like to call them). There were so many rooms I left unexplored, but I carefully stored the visuals of the interior in my memory, and my phones physical storage. All in all, I would gladly visit Vienna four more times.

The subsequent weekend I spent after Vienna, I caught up on all the sleep I needed and then some. My Host mother has slowly come to understand my sleeping habits and has let me sleep in. Sometimes to 10am!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment