Monday, February 18, 2013

UPDATE...finally

I know it's been a while since I posted. Part (if not most) of the reason behind this is laziness on my behalf, however, some of the fault behind my neglect comes from the fact that I feel like I have finally gotten used to the routine here.  I know what buses to take and how to get pretty much anywhere I need to go.  I know good places to eat, good places to drink, and good places to have a fun time.  I even know where to shop, where to get medicine, and where to get a haircut.  I am finally starting to feel like part of society here, rather than some oddity thrown into the general population.  This comfortability does not come from boredom though.  The last few weeks have been some of the most interesting in my life.  I'll start with the uniclinic.

A few weeks ago, we went to the University hospital in town.  I did not really know what to expect going into this, but I was definitely excited.  I have volunteered and shadowed in hospitals before, but I haven't gotten to watch any major surgeries.  In preparation, we donned the customary scrubs, sterile hairnet and facemask, and even the duck shoes that look ridiculous but are secretly very comfortable.  Then, Cliff and I were led into an OR where we put on lead aprons and moved towards the surgery, where the lead surgeon was already cutting a large slice down a man's back.  It turned out they were doing a spinal fusion.  The man had already had the procedure done before, however he had a few screws loose which caused him great pain and warranted a correction surgery.  During the surgery, we watched fascinated as they tore through this man's back, cutting here, burning there, and yanking (what appeared randomly) with pliers.  It was dirty, smelly, and rough.  It was amazing.  It was amazing that these doctors were going to end this man's pain through this surgery.  It took years and years of training and a great deal of skill, but here they were, using what they learned to help better another human's life.  I thought this was completely awesome.  The best part of the whole thing, though, was that the surgeon and the anesthesiologist involved us in everything.  They asked us questions and told us what they were doing and why.  This made it a great learning experience and an experience I will not soon forget.  I hope to go back to the hospital soon to maybe do my 485 (research).

The night after the clinic, a large group of us went to Amsterdam.  I'm going to keep this part short. Amsterdam was a beautiful city.  The canals and old leaning buildings were gorgeous.


We went on a canal tour and saw what the beauty that Amsterdam had to offer.  We were even lucky enough to have the sun for the trip.  Amsterdam was not all calm and pretty however.  The city is very different at night.  Any sin you could think of is available there.  From the coffee shops to the red light district, to the crazy night clubs, Amsterdam is a city where any kind of fun could be had.  What was also amazing was the many different types of people we met.  We met people from Macedonia, from Hungary, some crazy British people, and also a few Dutch.  Somehow I even ran into a girl I went to high school with.  Overall, Amsterdam is a great city, and one I hope to visit again someday.

Now for Karneval.  Karneval was by far my favorite experience here so far.  The Germans, which normally seem like a very calm, almost melancholy people, went absolutely crazy for Karneval.  Young and old alike dressed up in ridiculous costumes to go to the parades and festivities.  The first day, we went to the ladies parade in Beuel, where we consumed way to much carmella (and possibly too much beer).  After the parade, however, was when the real action started.  A group of us went to Cologne. I have never seen such a huge group of crazy costumed students in my life.  Everyone was having a blast.  It was cool to be a part of.  All the bars in the part of Cologne we went had cheap drinks and open doors.  Students were just going back and forth in a giant heaving mass of costumed weirdness.  Oh yeah, here's me in the stork costume and Jake as a dragon.


The next three days were a constant celebration.  It was awesome to see a whole country come together to celebrate something so odd.  I will have to go to Mardi Gras sometime now to see how it compares!

Well, I think that's all I am going to say for now. We are getting ready to head out for Vienna, I can't wait to see what kind of adventures and experiences it has in store for us

No comments:

Post a Comment