Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Getting the hang of it

After being in Germany for 3 weeks I think I'm finally starting to get things down. Although the language is still a barrier, I've learned enough to buy food and other small things here and there. I've also discovered the joy of the European train system, seriously if America got a few good high speed rail ways traveling would be so much easier than the horrid traffic and tedious flights we have to put up with on a regular basis.

Last weekend I stated Friday morning off by being at the Bonn train station bright and early for an exciting trip to the University Hospital. We went to observe surgeries and learn more about the German Healthcare system in general. After we had scrubbed in we were separated into individual operating rooms that specialized in different specialties. In all I observed 4 different surgeries ranging from the removal of a glob of fat behind a mans ear to a very brutal orthopedic surgery where they inserted a metal rod into a poor old ladies broken leg. I was very surprised at how crude our techniques still are in regards to surgery, there is less careful incisions and more blood flying all over the place than I had expected to see. Out of our entire group there was only 2 of us that fainted, we now currently hold the record for most faints seen on these study abroad trips.

Afterwards a few others and myself left to go on our first trip outside of Germany, our destination was Amsterdam. My first impression of the city was at night and the first thing anyone said to us was to offer our group any drug of their choice. After reaching the Hostel I was a little scared to face a similar experience with our roommates over the next few days but to my delight we could out that the other guys were from France and were just looking to have a fun time in Amsterdam. Before I knew it the weekend was over in a blur but I had gotten to experience cool things like a canal tour around the city and a few museums like the Heineken factory that was very liberal with their free samples.
The Carnival holiday starts tomorrow so hopefully I'll have more stories and adventures to talk about soon.
Tchuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment