Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ohhhh Carnival :))

Ohhh Carnival

This is one of the best German holidays EVER. I'd compare it to a combination of Mardi Gras and Halloween but way more intense. Here, Carnival is known as the 5th season of the year and some people take it very seriously. Traditional Carnival music takes over the radio for a month before all the parades start, the bakeries sell special pastries, people start planning their unique costume for the parties and the parades, and everyone seems to be in a better mood. Luckily I didn't have to purchase a costume because one of Fee's good friends is very fond of Carnival and had left over costumes. I was also able to borrow another costume from the neighbors.
Our Carnival weekend began on Thursday. I woke up at 7 and donned my hot pink overalls and blue leopard print hat and met everyone at the school. By 930 we made our way to the first parade in Beuel. The parade lasted for almost 4 hours, thankfully my costume was warm! The floats passed by us and we yelled KAMELLA and they threw candy, flowers, tissues, tiny bottles of alcohol, and chocolate bars at everyone on the road watching the parade. There were people everywhere, all in funny costumes. It was so fun!!! After the parade I spent some time at a friends house and then grabbed a Doner ( kind of like a greek gyro but turkish...so tasty) and some coffee and went out again that night. Needless to say, once I got home I was so ready for bed. I watched a Carnival comedy show with Fee before I went to bed and it was pretty funny...even though they were only speaking in German.... On friday I basically relaxed all day and then we went out in Bonn for the night. Then on saturday I spent some time in town and relaxed some more. Then a group of us went to Koln for the night, which was sooooo crowded with people but it was so fun to see everyone in costume. That night I dressed up as little red riding hood ( the costume I borrowed from the neighbors). We stayed out so late that I was able to take the 500 morning tram home. I was kind of thankful for that though because I really do like being able to stay at my own home. Sometimes I'll stay with a friend because the night bus drops off too far from my house to walk at 300 in the morning, I might freeze if I did. Woke up very late but then I got to go hiking!! Love living by a moutain :)
Still have one more day of Carnival left though!! Rosemontag is tomorrow and we're all going to the biggest parade of the season in Koln.

No comments:

Post a Comment