Friday, February 1, 2013

Lesson Learned


After approximately two and a half weeks and three German classes, I had the pleasure of testing out my German speaking skills in the real world. We had just finished learning numbers in German class the same day that Paige, Lauren, and I decided to go get a snack from the bakery right next to the Fridensplatz tunnel . I owed Lauren 1 euro, so to call it good I was going to buy her a 0,85 euro pretzel stick aka Laugenstange. I paid with a 5 because I was out of 1 and 2 euro coins, and I can do simple math so I was expecting 4,15 euro back. Well….. that didn’t happen. She gave me back1,15… and neither of the two ladies working spoke English and I wasn’t about to lose 3 euros… Thankfully, after a good nearly 10 minutes of spotty German okay more like English mixed with fünf and other German numbers; I was finally able to communicate that she had given me the wrong change. Thank goodness because that is a whole 6 pieces of pizza from the 0,50 cent pizza place! I will now be checking my change diligently for the rest of the semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment