Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I do have legs under all these clothes!


Yesterday was Uniklink day. It was interesting to see the German system at work, and by seeing it first hand it was easier to see what Dr. Wasser talked about in class. The first surgery I saw was for a stent to be put in a man’s aorta to prevent bursting because it was enlarged near the kidneys. There was really not much to see, but I could see the surgeons positioning the stent on the x-ray screen. After that surgery, it appeared that I wasn’t going to be able to see anything else..which was a bummer.. but after the tour we had extra time, so I was able to go in on a cardio surgery that was just finishing replacing a valve. I found this to be amazing. I was in awe to see a heart beating right before my eyes; just thinking about it blows my mind.

Now for today… I remember checking the weather this morning and thinking “Oh brother another rainy day” and grabbing the gear that I would need; however, I had no idea what the weather actually had in store for us. After getting to school, it rained for a bit and then what do you know that sun finally decided to come out. But by about 12:30, the weather decided to go crazy. It started raining again… then rain/snow… and then hail… followed by a giant snowflake blizzard… and surprise… more snow/rain… and finally it was over and the sun was out and the sky was blue. It’s official. Germany’s weather is more unpredictable than Texas’. Since the sun was finally out, Lauren and I decided to go for a jog. I might’ve gotten over excited because I did choose shorts over leggings, but it was nice to not be in so many layers (and no I wasn't the only one in shorts there were THREE other people too.)  Our path turned out to be 6 miles. No big deal.. ha But we did jog the whole thing. HOORAY! So Bonn half marathon here we come : )

No comments:

Post a Comment