Saturday, February 16, 2013

My Experience with baking

Okay, not to brag or anything, but in America I can bake. I can bake well. Anything from cheesecake to apple pie to cookies and brownies. You name it, I'll bake it for you (and eat half). But yesterday was my first attempt at baking in Germany. First off, the ingredients. Not only do you have to find "baking powder" in a superstore that has no organization similar to ours, but you have to figure out how to spell that in German. Not easy. But not only this, some ingredients don't even exist over here! Apparently Graham Crackers are an American only good, and so are chocolate chips (who would have known?!). I ended up having to substitute lady fingers for graham cracker crumbs and almond bark chocolate for chocolate chips. Once we had all the ingredients, I had to convert everything to metric units. Somehow "preheat the over to 375" became a lot more complicated than the push of a button. Thankfully we had the internet and a calculator to help us with this little tid bit. Once we had conquered all of this, we had to use different utensils and a kitchen that we were not familiar with. At the end of the day, we survived and made delicious cookies and peanut butter bars, but it was not easy, my friends. And probably took us two hours longer than it would have in America. I think the friends at our movie night were thankful of our work and (as always) it always will make a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment