Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Blood,Guts and everything else in between


On Monday, I saw my first ever surgeries... ever, other than ER (great show btw). It was one of the most awesome experiences to happen in my life. I got to see two surgeries. My first was a woman who had to have major back to replace a broken disk. Well actually she already had back surgery but she ended up breaking a disk that had a screw in it and it needed to be removed.
What was awesome was not only watching the surgery but my anesthesiologist who was more than nice enough to not only quiz me on things but let me help prepare solutions, change the IVs and manage some of the machinery. Even though I was doing minor things I felt so involved in helping this patient. Not to mention the surgeons were pretty awesome... they kept telling me all the stuff that I need to be doing for Carnival and where to go what bars to  visit and joking around with me all while removing this woman's disk.
 BTW... I got to see her spinal cord. I did a mental touch.... I wish I could have stayed a little longer, but we had to meet up for our little tour. I cannot wait to go back for shadowing. I hope I get that Greek Guy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment