Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Three Weeks Down?!

          I can't believe we've only been here for three weeks and so much has already happened! But I guess what they say is true, time flies when you're having fun! This past week has been interesting as well. We finally got to go see the House of History here in Bonn, which had a lot of really neat things. Dr. Wasser did an excellent job of explaining all of the important events that occured in Germany's past. I think we were there for almost two hours (he knows A LOT of history!) and had to leave because the museum was closing, and Laura had to get back for class.
          We also had our Visa appointments on the same day as the classical concert. And of course I got a late appointment, but thankfully class got out before lunch. So Lauren and I ran home after class to shower and get ready for the concert before our appointments. I had worked so hard to curl my hair with my cheap straightener, and went upstairs to get Lauren...only to realize that it was pouring down rain. So we decided to just bring our dresses and shoes with us, and change after our appointment. But of course by the time we got to town my hair was completely flat...cool. Oh well, the appointments were quick and painless, but the two hour wait afterwards was a little rougher. Well I shouldn't say rougher, it was just really longgggg and boring haha.
          We attended the concert warm-up where we learned a little more about the composer and the music that was going to be played. After which, we grabbed some quick dinner with some people in our group and then headed over to the university. The concert was...cultural. It was well orchestrated, but a little long. Although we did see one of the choir singers pass out, so that was a little interesting! haha. To put it lightly, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. But I definitely don't regret doing it!
         This past weekend was pretty relaxing, as most of our group had gone to Amsterdam. So Nicole, Laura, Lauren, and I went over to Robert's house to attempt to make brownies and schokolade mousse. Well... apparently German ovens don't exactly work like American ovens. Needless to say, our brownies appeared more like "blackies" on top, and "tan/creamies" on the bottom. (The entire top layer was burnt to a crisp, but the inside/bottom was still completely liquid.) But hey! At least we figured out all of the ingredients, and the batter tasted amazing! The chocolate mousse turned out pretty good too. (Although you just have to add cream and put it in the fridge, so it would've been pretty hard to mess up haha) Overall, it was pretty good time.
           Sunday was pretty relaxing, I actually got to sleep in! And then just worked on homework and jogged almost 4 miles. So although I didn't really do all that much, I'll still consider it a successful day! Sunday night, on the otherhand, was a COMPLETELY different story. Our host mom decided to take us out to a "Spanish" restaurant... which we were actually really excited for..at first. Then we get there, and the entire menu is written in Spanish, then translated to German. (I was honestly VERY dissappointed in my Spanish skills, because there were so many words that I had never seen before/couldn't remember.) On top of that, no one spoke English to translate what we should order. Our host mom got some guy who spoke a little English to try to explain the menu.. Needless to say that was a FAIL also. I went the "pollo con salsa," which in my head was some kind of chicken (maybe grilled?) with tomato salsa, sounds pretty safe right? WRONG. SO WRONG. I ended up with some tiny chicken wing looking things that were almost completely burnt bone with a little bit of meat on them. And even better, they were in a bowl SMOTHERED in a cold Ragu-tasting sauce. I still cringe at the thought of that traumatic meal... Plus they're weren't any chips... what kind of Mexican place doesn't have chips and salsa?! I was so dissappointed... Oh well lessons learned, never eat a "Spanish" restaurant in Germany ever again. (Oh and even better, this place was in a back alley, and doesn't even have a name.)
           Well that's all for now folks! See ya next week!

Paige :)

No comments:

Post a Comment