Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Finally added to Blogger....

I can't believe that we have all been in Germany for three weeks! I have had an incredible time in Bonn, and I have definitely stepped out of my comfort zone. After living in BCS for 20 years, this is definitely a change. I was prepared to be extremely homesick, but so far that is not the case!

There is so much to say that I wish I would have started a journal like Rachael so I could remember everything. My host family is really nice, and Kirstie and I have our own separate apartment... we got pretty lucky. But then again, it does take like 45 minutes to an hour to get to AIB. You win some and you lose some. We've travelled to Cologne twice, and I can't wait to go back. The cathedral is beautiful, and hopefully one of these days we'll attend a church service there. Then this past weekend, 13 of us travelled to Amsterdam. The city was beautiful and unlike anything I've ever seen before. We visited the Anne Frank house, the Heineken brewery, the Van Gogh expedition (which was less than par), and we went on a canal tour. Our hostel was on the corner of the red light district, which was... crazy. I'm just glad we all made it back in one piece.

Yesterday we went to the University Hospital to watch surgeries... and when I say watch surgeries, I mean we were right beside the operating tables. Paige, Carlos, and I volunteered to go watch cardiac surgeries first. After that, I was able to watch a tumor resection on a man's pancreas... actually, it was a pretty rare surgery, a whipple. Pancreatic cancer is hard to detect in time, so I'm glad I was able to witness part of that surgery.

All in all, I have loved Germany so far (although I am pretty sad that I'll be missing The Walking Dead).

Who knows what will happen next!

No comments:

Post a Comment