Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Love of My Life: A Valentinesy Medical Post

     My first encounter with the medical world was obviously when I was born. Since then, several events (over the last two decades) have led me to believe that a medical career is what is "home" for me. Before embarking this awesome program, I took part in a medical missionary trip to Honduras through Texas A&M Global Medical Brigades-a relatively new organization that I helped commence and stirred its growth. Those seven days were life-changing. I had never learned or experienced so much. It helped me define my emotions towards the medical field, construct a shady (because nothing can be quite so clear) plan for the future, and mold more academic knowledge. It was fulfilling in every way. I think it's fair to say that it was the best trip of my life. (that can change...)
     Onward, my experience in Honduras helped me see medicine in a more holistic environment. I saw the importance of a clean water system and the damages (not only health-wise) that the lack of it caused. We also went on a pilot brigade with Public Health Brigades to help improve the living conditions of a local community member's home. The picture below is the cement floor the GIRLS laid. (while the guys mixed the dirt with water, etc.)
I can talk about this wonderful experience forever. (Friends of mine who didn't go on the trip are sick of hearing my stories, haha) As mentioned, the overall experience was very different. The goal achieved was reached by fixing the problem-starting from the bottom. To better the community's health, we had to first improve their lifestyle, then treat the existing illness, and finally, help prevent future problems. Voila.
     Last week's hospital visit was a flip-sided view of "the love of my life." (corniness required!) I don't have much experience shadowing doctors yet, but being in the proximity of complicated surgeries,  brainy surgeons, telepathic nurses, throbbing hearts, and the smell of burnt flesh was every bit as thrilling! I felt as if I got the inside scoop of the problems normally seen only on the exterior. I was wooed when the surgeons in the first operation room asked whether I was an anesthesiologist or urologist. (I also decided that that was the best pick-up line a woman could ever hear-not that they were trying to flirt-just a thought.) The five hours spent in the three different operation rooms helped me see the process from the preparation to its closure. It was amazing. It was holistic on a different level as well. The surgeons, nurses, and anesthesiologists were all interdependent. It was an artwork.
     I'd like to conclude with my main point. Although the settings have been very different: a rural Honduras vs. a city Universitätsklinikum, the two perspectives have painted an even bigger picture of the career I pursue. Together, the two experiences have been very rewarding.

'Til next time,
Jess (:


      
Two settings, one love.

No comments:

Post a Comment