Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Week 10- Spring Break

 Spring Break began early Saturday morning, as Pat, Milo, Kass, & I's flight to Seville left Cologne at 5:45 AM. To preface: my health wasn't super great this week, either, but we still had an awesome Spring Break. After settling into Seville, we were able to explore so much of this incredible Spanish city. Plaza de España was probably the highlight for me, along with the excellent weather, delicious food, and authentic Spanish vibe throughout the city. We also visited Palacio de las Dueñas and Plaza de Toros de Maestranza. I wasn't feeling well enough to use my camera much these first few days in Sevilla, but I will always recommend this beautiful city to anyone looking to visit Spain.

Plaza de Espana (03.12.23)

After a few days in Seville, we took a train up to Madrid on Monday afternoon. Madrid was probably my favorite Spanish city, although all three were excellent in their own right. Liverpool were in town for the second leg of their Champions League tie with Real, and the atmosphere in the city was incredible our entire stay as a result. I probably could've spent an entire week reading all of my books in El Parque de Retiro, and I spent over four hours with Milo in Museo del Prado, probably my favorite museum of the trip as well. This museum featured a ton of Biblical art, which I found particularly fascinating. The Royal Palace of Madrid was stunning, both inside and out, and Milo was even able to buy a beer at McDonalds. We also had possibly the best Mexican food that I've ever had at a restaurant for lunch one day. Our AirBNB nearly flooded one morning, and Pat had to save the day, using a coffee pot to control the water overflow.

El Parque de Retiro (03.14.23)

Our final destination was Barcelona, the Catalan capital on the northeastern coast of Spain. Our friend Peyton joined us for this portion of the trip, and the five of us had a great time over the last few days of Spring Break. Barcelona's city center is incredibly pedestrian-friendly, and we spent much of our time outside at coffee shops and cafes due to the gorgeous weather. Among the highlights, we visited Camp Nou (unfortunately missed El Clasico by a day), Park Güell, and Arco de Tiunfo de Barcelona (the Arc de Triomf in Barcelona). La Sagrada Familia is, for me, undoubtedly the most beautiful church in the world.  The best paella that I had in Spain was in Barcelona. I also was able to get some really cool bird photos. 

Feeding Frenzy (03.17.23)

Spring Break was an incredible week with some of my closest friends on this trip, who were so incredibly supportive & patient with my fatigue and headaches throughout the week. Thankful for my time in Spain. 


Colby Wilkens

05/03/23



No comments:

Post a Comment