Monday, April 29, 2019

Week 12 (Bonn Half Marathon)

Apr. 6: Big Event:


Each year at my university during the spring, tens of thousands of students come out to participate in Big Event, the "largest, one-day, student-run service project in the nation". As it happens, most of the international programs associated with A&M participate in their own miniature version of big event to give back to the communities that have served as their home for the time that they've been there, and our group was no exception. For the group that I was in, we were tasked with the repainting of an elementary school a little bit out side of the main city. I'm always reminded of how much I enjoy volunteering, especially with people who make the work fly by.



After we were done with our work, we decided to head to the north west side of downtown to see what Bonn is apparently famous for. Back in the 1980s, ornamental Japanese cherry blossom trees were planted along Breite street. Each spring, the streets come alive with a pop of color. The lack of rain and persistently cold weather created the perfect environment for this year's bloom, making it one of the best in recent years. 

Apr. 7: Bonn Half Marathon


Crossing the Finish Line

Running a half marathon here in Bonn is easily one of the most unique experiences that I have had while studying abroad. A year ago, I never thought that I would spending this semester in Europe, much less running a half marathon here. The weather couldn't have been better and my new medal will surely be one of my most prized mementos from this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment