Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Leg Suffering

This week, there were not many academic novelties. We have a test for Signals and Systems next Thursday so I am a little nervous for that. We started to learn GI in physiology so that was pretty interesting. We also have a meeting with enmodes on Tuesday to finalize everything they want us to research before the final presentation so my group has been focusing a lot on that lately. I am not too worried because I think my group has been doing a lot of research and we are pretty prepared.

This weekend I truly tested the very limit of my legs. Last week in France, I probably walked at least 15 miles every day so my legs have been exhausted all week. On Friday, I went to a friend's house and missed a bus on the way back so I had to walk for about 40 minutes home. On Saturday we had Big Event, so we got the opportunity to help fix up the garden at a nursery home and we got awesome BBQ, but we were also up and working for a couple hours. Finally, on Sunday, I did something I never thought I would actually do: run in a marathon. Even though I did not run the entire marathon, I still ran 7 miles which is about 7 times more than I have ever voluntarily ran. Like the procrastinator I am, I did not train for this marathon so I was truly worried that my legs were not going to make it. My leg of the marathon started at 11:45 so I was able to sleep in a get a nice breakfast before I ran. I got to where I was meeting my relay partner and waiting with terror for what was about to come. I started running and immediately my shins and ankles started burning. I knew that if I stopped, it would keep hurting, so I kept running with the hope that my legs were maybe not warmed up enough and they just needed some time. And indeed, about 5 minutes later my legs stopped complaining and decided to power through. I did not have a time goal since this was my first marathon and I just wanted to finish it no matter how slow, but I still maintained a pretty consistent pace. An hour later, I crossed the finish line feeling like a hundred dollars. I was not completely dead, my legs were not hurting, and I was in a fantastic mood. That day I had never been more proud of my leg muscles and their capacity to continuously run for 7 miles after have a week of complete torture. I was also very proud of myself because I have always hated running and never thought that I would be able to run that much. It was a true milestone for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment