Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Spring Break 2019 - Mamma Mia vibes!

Saturday (3/9): Peace out, Bonn! Hello, Greece πŸ’™

To say that I was excited for Greece is an understatement! I was so ready to soak in some sun (hahaha, details to come) and beautiful sights. Immediately getting off the plane in Athens, my jaw dropped in response to being surrounding by so many beautiful mountains. After reaching the city center, me and Adrianna met up with Masha, Jessica, and Vivian #girlstrip! Our first night, we ate a traditional Greek restaurant with a beautiful view! I ordered a Greek spinach pie and a Caesar salad. I know, I know, why order a Caesar salad and not a Greek salad in Greece?! Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the majority of things in a Greek salad. :( The Caesar salad was delicious though so its all good! Although the pie was not my favorite, I'm happy I tried an authentic Greek dish my first night. πŸ˜‹ After dinner, we walked around the city center and stumbled upon an interesting yet super inappropriate festival... then went into some stores. I also tried rolled ice cream for the first time.
A great first day! 

Sunday (3/10): the Acropolis, delicious food, and much more πŸ™†

In the morning, we headed toward the Acropolis. On the way there (which was a beautiful and peaceful walk), I noticed a cool hill and decided to see what the view looked like on top. Wowza!

(The Acropolis is on the top right!)

It turned out to be the Areopagus Hill, which served as the high court for judicial cases (like murders) in ancient Greece!
Afterwards, we went to the Acropolis. ❤



For lunch, we went to this GREAT Greek cafe. I tried tzatziki and a gyro for the first time. It was soooo good! Our server was super friendly and gave us free shots and dessert. πŸ˜‹
After lunch we strolled through the park and ended up at the Acropolis Museum.
For dinner, we went to another Greek restaurant and I had another gyro ;)


We got more free shots and dessert, ayy!

Monday (3/11): Goodbye Athens, Hello Paros! 🌞🌊🌸

Up and early (~5 AM) for the 7 AM ferry to Paros. This was my first time riding a ferry, seeing a dolphin, and going to the beach. :) Our hotel was really close to the beach and so cute! I went on a hike and enjoyed the most beautiful scenery.

One of my favorite views of all time :)

For dinner, we went to another Greek restaurant. I had fresh fish and calamari!

Tuesday (3/12): Rain, rain go away :/

Just as expected, it rained almost all day. Oh well, a little rain never hurt anyone! We walked around, visited some stores, and spent 3 hours at this cute restaurant for lunch. #gyronumber_? Afterwards, I got my first gelato ever. We then hung out at the hotel, made dinner (so fun), and watched Mamma Mia! 😊

Wednesday (3/13): Goodbye Paros, Hello Naxos! πŸŒ„

For breakfast, I had Greek yogurt, honey, strawberries, and granola with chocolate. YUM! (I’ve found a new favorite breakfast – I’m going to be on the lookout for more-than-not authentic Greek yogurt once I get back to the US!) It rained all morning before we headed to Naxos, and then it stopped LITERALLY as soon as we got on the ferry. The weather in Naxos was decent (semi cloudy, with some sun here and there). Our first adventure was walking the alley ways, catching sight of: beautiful buildings with blue doors and windows, a castle, stores, and the sea. πŸ’™


We then went to the Apollo temple. 


We grabbed lunch at a creperie. Walking around some more, I couldn’t help but admire how beautiful the hills were. I suggested how cool it would be to go up and enjoy the view. Luckily, I was with a group of girls who were down! On the way up, I thought I was going to be blown off. It was SO windy. We also saw some cute baby goats. We finally reached our destination: a church built into the rock. The climb took about an hour and was totally worth it! 


For dinner, we went to another authentic Greek restaurant. I was feeling spontaneous and decided to try the goat and orzo. It was good, and I’m glad I tried something new!

Thursday (3/14): Naxos Day 2 πŸŒ…

Today’s main event was going to Agious Giorious, the most beautiful beach in Greece. In the morning, I decided to grab breakfast alone – a cappuccino and delicious sandwich. I sat on a bench enjoying the views and weather 😊. In order to get to beach on the other side of the island, we had to take a taxi. Once we got dropped off, our driver said “here, no bus, no taxi!” The beach was completely empty; we were the only ones there! Although the sun came and went, I enjoyed just sitting there and enjoying the waves, getting to know the girls I was with.


For dinner, we went to this really cute restaurant. I decided to order something I’d been craving for a while: spaghetti carbonara. SO GOOD!

Friday (3/15): Back to Athens ✨

We caught the ferry back to Athens and arrived around 5 PM. We grabbed a quick lunch (another delicious gyro) and headed to the markets. I bought my sister a ring and myself some earrings. 😊 After walking around some more, we decided to spend our last night at a rooftop bar. Our view = the Acropolis!


Despite the occasional gloomy weather, my spring break in Greece was unforgettable. I never thought I would be the girl who got the chance to do something super cool for break. Everyday I feel so grateful and blessed to be in this program. 😊

-Mel✌❤




No comments:

Post a Comment