Sunday, April 28, 2019

Germany full circle (Bingen, Andernach, and Remagen)


After our exhausting Easter, class was in full swing again. This time with some breaks for day excursions. Tuesday, Lindsay held the Muster ceremony and I thought it was so cool she took the time to allow everyone to honor Aggies all the way over in Germany. I was still sick this whole week so I didn’t do much but sleep and study for the lab exam we had Friday as well as the physiology lecture exam on Tuesday next week. But in between the busy school days, finishing up my last lectures in college ever (!), we had excursions to go on. First, we went to Bingen and Andernach. Bingen was so cool because the monument across the river we say was where I spent my Rhein curse when studying abroad before in high school! In high school, we took some cable cars over the wine fields, hiked to the monument (see picture, and took these forest seats down through the trees. It was beautiful and one of my favorite things I did so it was super cool to see it again. We were in Bingen to learn about Saint Hildegard aka the baddest Saint. She made sure she got what she wanted when convents and monasteries were controlled by the male priests. She was famous for her visions from god and is one of the patron saints of medicine. It took the church a while to make her a saint but they did what was right and one of Hildegard’s convents is still in operation today. Dr. Wasser sang for us music that she possibly wrote before leading us to the medical garden. We saw some plants they used in apothecaries but unfortunately it was still too early to really see them in bloom.



              We then headed to Andernach for lunch which was interesting. It was good but had a little too much of the tart cherry-based sauce. All the little German towns I’ve been to are similar yet so unique. They’re all so cute and it’s a joy just to walk down the streets. On our way back we drove through Koblenz which is a city Ana and I have been meaning to visit. So, it was nice to at least see some sights we planned on. The tour of the medical equipment museum was better than some other museums we went to because the garden was so nice.

We had a lot of classes this week so the excursion gave us a break. We had more physiology classes planned than we had material so that was also a pleasant surprise. History of medicine covers so much I hope our final goes well. In addition to my last lectures, I did chi gong and tai chi for the last times this week. Everything is coming to a close, it feels omniscient.



              After the lab exam, I laid in bed to recover and binged a Netflix show. When Monday came around, I was well enough to go on the excursion. My cough was better which was good considering our excursion was to bike 22 km to Remagen. I had been thinking about going to Remagen so this was a good opportunity for me. I haven’t biked in years so I was off to a rough start but eventually got the hang of it. Only issue then was how much my behind hurt for the next few days. After learning some German war history, we went to group lunch and Dr. Wasser treated us to ice cream! This past week of school and excursions was fun but I need to make sure I have time to study and souvenir shop next week. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment