Wednesday, April 17, 2019

A Week of Horror: starring Jordan Peele, Volunteering, Running and Math


Week 13- Big Event and Bonn Marathon and 2 Tests and Enmodes and Us

Saturday, I was hardly able to drag myself out of bed. I am now 2 for 2 on going to Big Event sleep deprived- this time still a bit inebriated. Don’t forget, I hadn’t eaten any dinner Friday night! Last year, I was a big event site leader, so as much as I wanted to continue sleeping after getting back to my dorm at 4 am, I muscled through that 7:50 alarm and got to Kyle Field Plaza. It was a great experience.

This one was also pretty cool. I wouldn’t have made it without the help of Lindsay and Adriana, giving me coffee and a banana and water and some clothes. We ran to the bus- another thing I couldn’t believe I was doing- and got to Markt and started heading toward Old AIB to get our assignments. My group was at a retirement home, painting and gardening. When we got there, there were two little kids that I gravitated towards and made friends with. They took a bit of time to get comfortable, but by the end, we were laughing and joking and I had practiced my German all day with them. Although Miriam was a trouble-maker and Ibrahim was shy, we had fun re-painting the big concrete spider in the yard with their mom and Ariella. I had to take a break because I felt faint, but I was okay after we ate.
I went back to AIB to study for a while and Facetime my best friend from home. It was nice, I talk so rarely with anyone back home.

Sunday- The next morning was the Bonn Marathon! The first leg was set to run 5.5 miles and I have never run more than 2.5 miles in my life. But I was pumped.

Even though I was late, I got there just in time to sprint to the start line and find the rest of AIB. I jumped over the fence and stood with them as the music played. I saw Sebastian there, about to run his first marathon. I was pumped and happy and excited; and then we started running. It got hard running over the bridge in the sun. It was awesome seeing people cheer us on, but I did end up having to slow down and walk for some of the time. I set little goals in my head of how far to run. A good bit of the run was scenic and sweet- people cheering, kids high-fiving, drummers pumping us up, water stations every now and then. I kept my eye on certain people and tried to stay with them throughout the race. We even ran through a street of cherry blossoms.
At the end, we went to the food court and got as much as we could. We left to go cheer on Sebastian and the third-leg runners, which was super fun. As we waited for people we knew on the bridge, we called out the names on the nametags and cheered strangers on. It was nice to see them smile.
As the race was finishing, AIB went over to the finish line to cheer people on and finish the race together. After socializing for a bit and then going home to shower, Kevin and I came back to take pictures with the cherry blossoms, and then to AIB to study. I ended up meeting with Dilschad and his friend to walk around Bonn together, and we spoke a mix of English and German to talk about Egypt and school and me getting lost.
At the end of the night, I still felt like I had a lot of studying to do for math, so I decided not to take my night bus home and sleep at 2 just to wake up at 9 and come back with no studying done. So I slept on the black couch in the library until 8 am, and when Karina had to start opening rooms up, I went down to the lounge to keep sleeping until 10:10.

Tuesday, we had an enmodes meeting in Aachen. The engineers were stressed because we had a test when we got back to Bonn, so we studied whenever we could. The Helmholtz Institute was really cool to see and truly made me more interested in Biomedical Engineering. To see the devices themselves and how they changed over the years was cool, and I would definitely be interested in interning there.

Our presentation with enmodes went smoothly and cleared up a lot of questions, and we played Heads Up to pass the time when the other teams went inside. I was glad to have gone first and be able to study. On the bus, Reagan said she would buy us pizza, which was awesome, and we had a little more time to study before taking the test. The math test wrecked us, however, despite our hopeful group prayer.

Sid, Marcus, Kevin, Lindsay, Ryan and I stayed at AIB a little longer to play Taboo and try to study, even though I spent the night talking to my sister about travel plans and Lindsay about love probz.
Thursday, we spent the day at New AIB. I liked the classroom environment a lot more there and enjoyed seeing some new faces. We studied for Signals until it was time to take the test in the 3 hour block given to us, and then we went to BurritoRico and walked through the cherry blossoms to get some ice cream until Math Tutorial started.
At the end of the day, I went with Kevin, Masha, Sebastian, and Lindsay to go see Jordan Peele’s “Us” (for just 5 euro!) I normally NEVER watch horror films, but I had to go see another of Peele’s works. And I did not regret it. I was captivated, although it was a slow start. It was also cool to see the German subtitles at the bottom.

We were blown away and wanted to keep discussing it when we walked out of the theatre, so we went to a bar and asked all our questions and made all our comments about the observations we made. It was so intriguing to hear it all come together and help each other analyze deeper meanings to the scenes.

Friday, I went with Melania to get Birkenstocks and we spent 2 whole hours in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment