Sunday, April 7, 2019

Belgium, Big Event, and a Half-Marathon (Week 12)

Monday, we had off since we weren't released from Paris until Sunday morning. I spent it in Brugge/Bruges, Belgium and really wish I wouldv'e had more time there. Especially since a lot of the museums are closed on Monday. I should have gone to Bruges literally any other day of the week. Fortunately, I was able to see Michelangelo's "Madonna and Child," which was exciting, the Diamond Museum, and the Lace Museum, which was eye-opening since I had no idea how lace was made.

Bruges is basically a town out of a fairytale and super quaint. In the morning, I was able to do a walking tour of the city, sample some local chocolate and beers, and even explore the canals by boat. The city is beautiful, but I also wish that I could see it in the summer. I think I've just committed myself to the goal of coming back to Europe in the summer and re-visiting all the places I've seen.

Nothing big happened this week as far as classes go. I just had a few assignments due and that was pretty much it. Although, I did get my grade back for the physiology lab exam and was extremely happy with the results. Saturday was Charity Day/Big Event, which was actually a lot of fun. I was in a group with Vivian, Josh, Ryan, and a few LMU theater students and we all ended up at a retirement home where we worked in the garden. We all helped bring out benches, since the weather will be shifting soon, and then Vivian and I painted a sculpture of a spider that was in the garden. It was pretty fun since Vivian and I were joined by another woman volunteering and her two kids, although they did make a mess a few times. The others in our group worked on laying out wires for growing berries and laying down a concrete base for a bench. All in all, it was a good time and the lunch and cake that we were given afterwards was delicious.

Today is Sunday and this morning was the Bonn marathon. I almost didn't make it in time for the half-marathon. Mats had sent out an email correcting the start time for full-marathon, which was later, but when I read it, I just assumed that the time applied to me too. The email just said "marathon," so when I look back on it, I can understand how I got confused, but it also wouldn't have confused me if I just paid a bit more attention. Luckily, not even Germans can start every participant of a half-marathon on time and I was able to run without any issues. I ended after 2 hours and 23 minutes, which is literally the average time for women in 2016. Considering my training didn't go as well as I'd hoped and it was the first time I'd run that far in my life, I was pretty happy to be average. The food and drinks at the end were really nice and I spent a lot of time with the others just hanging out when everyone was finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment