Sunday, April 21, 2019

Enmodes Death and Revival in the Netherlands (Week 14)

The only thing this week was about was finalizing our enmodes project, which we presented on Thursday, and studying for my third genetics exam, which was Wednesday. It was really frustrating to have enmodes work all day Tuesday and Wednesday when there was a genetics exam, but there wasn't really any way around it. After taking the exam, I know I didn't do as good as I did on the last exam, but I hope that it was at least as good as the first exam. That will make it easier to get an A overall. Actually, I guess one other thing that had to be done this week was the extra credit paper for genetics. It's worth 20 points, so there was no way I wasn't going to do it. Anyway, Tuesday and Wednesday were really late nights for everyone and it was pretty miserable. But it was worth it since our presentations on Thursday all went very well. And now it's all over - unless you're an engineering student that still has to do the DHF or someone who signed up for the research credit, since they have to put together the enmodes booklet.

Today is Easter Sunday and this weekend was a long one. We all had Friday off and tomorrow off as well. I thought about joining Madyson, Ana, and Joshua to hike in the Black Forest for the weekend, but it was going to be hard to book and expensive, so I decided to go to Utrecht. The original plan was Amsterdam, but hostels there were twice as much. I got to Utrecht Friday morning and will say that the town is amazing. In fact, Utrecht is my new favorite place in Europe thus far, closely followed by Budapest. There's a lot of interesting history, similar to Bruges, and the town feels very close-knit. After dropping off my bag at the hostel, I spent the day exploring and visiting a few major sites. I started off with climbing the bell tower, which had some great views of the city, then went to the Clock Museum. This museum was actually pretty great because it had a lot of musical clocks and automated musical instruments, including some street organs, for which the Netherlands are famous.

On Saturday, I started the day by going to the flower market and then with some reading in a garden behind the bell tower. Later, I explored the town some more and then visited the de Haar Castle, the biggest castle in the Netherlands. It was super impressive and the gardens were beautiful. My favorite part was feeding the deer kept in the garden. Unfortunately, my phone spazzed out and I couldn't take any photos of the last half of the castle or the gardens, which I walked through after my castle tour.

This morning, I left my hostel ridiculously early to go to the Keukenhof gardens. It was so worth it, though, because the gardens were absolutely breathtaking and I spent almost four hours there. When I got back to Utrecht, I had a few hours before I had to catch my train back to Bonn, so I bought some souvenirs and walked around the southern part of the city, which I hadn't seen yet. I feel like my trip to Utrecht had the best pacing out of all of my trips thus far. There's always so much I want to see, I feel pressured to make it all happen and then feel rushed for most of my trip. That definitely wasn't the case with Utrecht, and I really enjoyed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment