Sunday, April 14, 2019

Oui, oui, Blog-ette


Week 11- Je ne parles pas Francais.

               Monday morning came, and France was 48 hours away. But first, we had a test for Medical Device Design on Tuesday morning over the FDA. It was 40% of our grade and I stayed up pretty late to study for it and make my cheat sheet she allowed us, but the test came and went and Anna blessed with how easy she made it. I ended up getting a 90.

               Tuesday night, I went to buy some shoes that I desperately needed after Greece absolutely demolished my only pair of walking shoes. Then I went to Math class and a group of us went to Zebulon. Ana, Ryan F and I left a bit early to go home and pack while Sid, Madyson, Joshua and Marcus stayed. Apparently, they had quite the time without us.

               Wednesday morning, Ana and I caught the 6:32 bus to meet with the others in front of AIB and head to Colmar. The 5 hour drive was long, and I spent most of it reading Da Vinci’s journals for my essay. Colmar itself was nice and relaxing, and I would have liked a whole day there. I ate lunch with Adriana and Melania and had about 45 minutes to myself, so I found a tea room and sat for a bit with Rose tea and Brazilian chocolate. We met at the museum to see the Isenheim Alter, which may be my favorite art piece I have seen all semester. (That is saying A LOT!) I was so bummed that it was being renovated, but the images and bits that I could see were incredible.
               We left and headed to Beaune- which is the same French word that Bonn got its name from. The hotel room was one of the nicest I’ve seen. It was a loft and the beds were big and comfy- only there was no wi-fi. As Ana and Madyson and I walked around town to find dinner, we turned a corner and saw a big group of our students on the street doing the same. “Oh no,” we said, under our breath. We turned around and there were more. “We are never going to be seated,” we agreed. We continued walking around, and everything seemed far too expensive. We found a place that wasn’t too outrageous and sat down across from the other group. Our waiter was awesome, a Moroccan nomad. We balled out, honestly. I got the steak and mashed potatoes and the waiter gave me free fries. We split a bottle of some Burgundy wine and had crème brulee and espresso at the end, all for a whopping 30 euro before tip. I regret nothing.
We ended the night by going to a wine bar. I was very content. The meal was wonderful, the waiter was added to my list of “super friendly waiters in Europe,” and the wine was perfect. We left the wine bar, but not before meeting two Aggies who were doing business in France. I went back to the hotel and a big group of us stayed down in the lobby socializing, and then socializing turned serious, and then serious turned existential. We started talking about God and Christianity; Sid, Lindsay, Joshua, Ariella and I. I was intrigued to know more about how they felt spiritually, and it was especially interesting to hear from Ariella, who I had not gotten the chance to truly talk to all semester. Ariella and Josh were super knowledgeable about the Bible, and I liked asking them questions about topics I had little exposure to.

I was tired and knew I had to be awake on the bus to Paris to finish reading my journals, so I headed out at almost 3 am. The rest of them continued talking for quite a while. I woke up Thursday morning and relished the French breakfast they served us before we went to the Hotel-Dieu. On the bus ride to Paris, I read the journals again, and Joshua (a sweet genius) helped me understand some confusing sections. When we were done eating lunch, he sat with me and we talked more about my own religious views, and also shared out political views, and our views of each other. I really enjoy talking to Joshua.

When we could see the Eiffel Tower from the window of the bus, happiness washed over me. I was in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment