Sunday, April 14, 2019

Tests and Firenze

With only three weeks left, this week was a huge hurdle to get over school-wise. The math test that was supposed to be last week got moved to Tuesday, we had an Enmodes trip and presentation that same day, and a signals and systems test on Thursday. So, while this week was difficult, I knew that once/if I got through it, I would be able to breathe just a tad bit more easily. The first major event of the week was the Enmodes presentation. My group was busy with big event and the marathon over the weekend, so Monday we kind of had to scramble to throw together a somewhat decent presentation. Tuesday morning we took the bus to Aachen, where we would present to Enmodes and get to see their facilities. We have four different approaches to the problem given, so our presentation ended up being a little long. But, we were able to clarify some issues we had, and we got meaningful feedback from Enmodes. The bus ride back was mostly for studying, as we had the differential equations test that night. Though we all felt decently prepared for that test, the test was extremely difficult. Very specific concepts, very long problems, and the lack of time all came together power ranger style to give me a most likely horrid grade on that test. So, that's just another class that I'm gonna hope to pass. Signals and systems went much better, and that was partially due to the improvements made by our teacher. We had more material to study with, and plenty of time to take it. That school day was a little odd however, because the founder of AIB passed away, causing us to be at the new AIB all day. It was strange being over there, because we generally don't interact with any of the other students. Also, we had really long spaces in between classes. This was both good and bad, because we had time to study more and eat, but I also just wanted to get everything over it. I did, that day, get to try Burrito Rico finally (it was good), register for classes, see the cherry blossoms again, and get some ice cream. So I think I made good use of my time. Registration went well, and I mostly got the courses I need for BMEN, except for biofluid mechanics. It's strange to me that they would have so few seats in a required course, but for now I'm in biosolids instead. Friday was a very chill day, and after an Enmodes class and a device design class, I made my way to Italy.

I had thought about Italy a lot this week, because I was going to the famed city of Florence, and I was going to get to see the same friend that visited me in Bonn about a month ago. This trip was another reason that I was able to brave this week. I left class a little early Friday, stopped by the apotheke because I was getting sick (again), and got some lunch from Uni Grill before hopping on the bus to the airport. Somehow, my trip to Florence was pretty much flawless. This came as somewhat of a surprise, since I had like 4 different connections to make. But, I made it there, and had a great time. The first night, my friend and I stayed in and had gnocchi and wine, caught up on the past month or so, and I met the roommates. It was a relaxing way to cap off the 6 hours of traveling prior to my arrival. The second day, we actually went and experience Florence a little bit. After breakfast we headed to the Uffizi museum, and spent a solid 2 and half hours exploring the sculptures, as well as the medieval and early Renaissance paintings. We followed that up with some amazing paninis and gelato, before heading back to the apartment to rest a little before heading back out. That night I got to meet her roommate's parents, who bought dinner and more gelato for a few of us. They were very nice, and reminded me a lot of a a family back home that we're good friends with. Today, Sunday, we got up and headed to Il Duomo to climb the bell tower. The climb wasn't bad because there were several levels to the tower, but I counted 12 less steps than advertised, which was slightly disappointing. The view was amazing though, and from the tower I was able to see all of Florence and the hills surrounding it as well. Before heading to the train station, I stopped and took a picture of some doors, and got one last panini.

The upcoming week is going to be brutal I think, because of Enmodes. But, if we survive, we get a long weekend for Easter, and all we have to worry about is finals. This semester is coming to a close sadly; I have about 3 more weeks. It's wild to think that four months turned into three weeks as quickly it did, and I know I'm not going to be ready when the time comes to go home. For now though, I'm glad I got to see a friend from home, and experience a little bit more of Italy.




No comments:

Post a Comment