Sunday, April 7, 2019

Big Event, and The Marathon (4/1)


So nothing really happened during the week. It was all homework and not much fun. We did have a math exam, which went horribly, but I’m glad to have a small break away from math. The weekend was a lot of fun though. We started with the Big Event. I was in a group with Vivian, Ryan Blanchard, Ariella, and some LMU theatre kids. We went to a retirement home and made a garden look a lot nicer by painting a big friendly spider, and setting concrete to make a bench. I was on the concrete team, and my goodness was that difficult. It was heavy, hard to mix, and we had to make several bags. It was a lot of fun though. The people we were helping out were super sweet, and they made us lunch. The lunch was really good, lecker even, and it was mainly a chicken soup. I haven’t had chicken soup since I’ve been in Germany. So it was nice, it kinda tasted like my Mom’s cooking. After lunch we finished our tasks and by that time I was exhausted from all the work. We ended our volunteering and went back home. Since we were in Bad Godesburg already I decided to ride the bus further than the subway stop. I got off at the center of Bad Godesburg, and as I got off I was hit with a surprise. I started walking to my house and then all of the sudden Vivian was all up in my face! I was so confused. I thought everyone had gotten off the bus and onto the subway, but for some reason she had stayed. I asked her what she was doing, and she said that she was only watching me as a cue of when to get off the bus. I told her that I’d get her back on the right train and so we went to the Bahnhof and waited. We got on the first train which just so happened to be the one everyone else was on. She burst into the train like a buffalo on the plains, and bumped into people and poles. It was pretty hilarious. After that I went home and got ready for the marathon the next day.


In the morning I went to go run in the marathon. I was super nervous because I had not trained hardly at all. Thankfully I’m still pretty fit, so I was able to run fairly okay. The whole marathon portion that I ran was about 7 miles. This was the furthest that I’ve ever run in one go. It took a lot of perseverance and bananas to get me through the run. But I did it and I felt good. I was surprised that I wasn’t very sore from the run. I guess that means I can push my body harder than I expected. It was truly a mind over matter experience, and I’m so glad that I was able to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment