Saturday, April 13, 2019

I (d)eclair that France is great


The first part of my week was spent trying not to get too distracted by the upcoming trip to Paris, so that I could get my work done and study for my test. The night before we left, I finally got a haircut (which I had been putting off for a while) and made some crêpes to get me in the mood to go to France.
The next morning, we had an early start, getting on the bus and driving for the entire morning to Colmar, a town near the French-German border near Strasbourg. I got a tarte flambée, an Alsatian speciality, that is similar to a pizza with crème fraiche on it. We then visited the Museum Unterlinden, which houses the Isenheim Altar, a giant altarpiece from the Renaissance. Part of the altar was having restorations done, and we got to watch the restorer as she was working, which was kind of cool. 


We then got on the bus again, and headed to Beaune, deep in the center of Burgundy wine country. We got dinner there, and I got to try escargot (which was really tasty!) and a couple glasses of Burgundy wine, which to my unrefined taste were good. Early the next morning I got up early to go for a run with Kevin, getting to see some of the town. Then we enjoyed a tasty breakfast, with lots of great breads, cakes, and marmalades to try. This hotel was the only place I’ve ever seen that had you boil your own eggs, which some people in my group had a bit of trouble with. We then walked over to the Hospices de Beaune, which is a medieval hospital that treated the poor. The building had a very cool roof design, and it was interesting seeing what an old hospital would have looked like in that time. After this, we hopped on the bus one last time to our final destination, Paris. That night we arrived and met our tour guide for the next few days, Julien. He took us down to the Seine, and we looked around the Notre-Dame before going to a creperie for dinner, where I had a very tasty ham and cheese crêpe. 

The following day was one of my favorites, not just on this trip, but for the entire semester. I spent the morning wandering the palace and gardens of Versailles, and then had an amazing picnic in part of the garden with the program, with tons of different cheeses and meats to put onto our baguettes. Dr Wasser led some tai chi, and we got in our Aggie yell practice, since it was Pull Out Day, meaning I got my first whoop in France. We headed back into the city and went up to the top of the Arc de Triomphe, taking in the views. We had a nice dinner as a group, where I got to try a tarte tatin, an amazing caramelized apple upside-down pastry. We then walked to the Eifel Tower, and went up to the second floor (we couldn’t go up all the way because it was too late). 


Our last day as a group was very tiring. It started with a fun walking tour with Julien through the Latin Quarter, then making a quick stop for gyros. We then spent a very long four hours doing a history of medicine tour of the Louvre, which probably the most painful thing I’ve done while travelling this semester. The Louvre was hot, and we were constantly walking at a high pace to see everything, and stopping in small side rooms without benches. After that experience, we said goodbye to Julien and were set free for the remainder of our time in the city. I got a recommendation for a patisserie from Julien, where I had a mind-blowing éclair, and some excellent macarons. 

The following day was spent hitting some of the museums and sights that we missed as a group, including the Sainte-Chapelle church and the Musee d’Orsay, which had one of my favorite exhibits I’ve ever been to. Inside an old train station, the d’Orsay has some of the most famous Impressionist paintings in the world, with famous pieces by Renoir, Monet, and Manet. 

My last day in Paris was much more relaxed than the others. After checking out of our hotel, a couple of us wandered up to the top of Montmartre hill, where we found an excellent brunch shop run by some Australians. I had an excellent duck confit there (not very breakfasty, but delicious). We went up to the top of the Sacre-Coeur, and wandered down the hill and around the city until it was time to time for me to take my train back. France has been my favorite country I’ve visited, I loved the food, the atmosphere, and the sights a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment