Wednesday, April 25, 2018

SKIING

I know my post titles are usually sleep related but skiing trumps sleep.

This ski trip was something I didn't realize I really needed. It was nice that after a lot of planning the ski trip pretty much went without a hitch and we all had a great time.

The hostel we stayed in was really close to a bus stop that would take us to the bottom of the lifts, but as it turned out we mainly just walked to and from the slopes which wasn't bad, even though it was a 25 minute walk, because it was a really nice walk.

First day of skiing was interesting in many different ways. Right off the bat, to get up the slopes Garmisch-Partenkirchen has a variety of different types of lifts, they don't just have the normal lift chairs that I have always used. To initially get up the mountain., the lift was this cable car thing where you would stick your skis on the outside doors, get in, doors close, and up ya go. However, you have to do all this while the thing is moving which actually turned out not to be too bad. There was also another type of lift that I absolutely hated, which sucked because it was at the bottom of all my favorite runs. The lift was basically this fishhook thing and it just came scooped ya up and pulled you along. I was always terrfied when using this because it felt like the hook was always slipping and I was going to become unhooked and be stuck on the lift run, where you are not supposed to ski on it is very frowned upon so don't fall off. Austin and my first attempt at this lift was not gracefully executed. Austin didn't even sit on the hook at all and was just holding on all the way up. This is not ideal for all the way up because it is very strenuous so he had to bail and ski back down. Fearful of being alone on this demon lift, I bailed too. Very badly. I tried to get off the hooky thing (when I say hook like we are not being stabbed we are sitting on the curvy part of the hook) and I got one leg off but the other one got hooked again so I got yanked and fell down. So I skied back down to where the lift began (some dude yelled at me, phooey on that guy) and met back up with Austin.

Second day (and last day *tears*) of skiing was much more casual but equally as fun. Joseph joined me and Austin and he had improved a lot! Before the slopes closed for the day, we turned in all our skies and took train to the top of Zugspitz. Even though it was cloudy, the view was beautiful, with the peaks of all the mountains peeping through the ocean of clouds. Then we had to head down and our journey to get back to Bonn began

Long story short, night trains are rough. We had to piddlefart in the town of Garmisch until our train at 10 pm, then began the night of train connections. After many trains and little sleep, we made it back to Bonn at 7? 9? One of those times. I could have slept before class that Monday, but my brain hates me so I was productive attempted to study instead.

Ta da.

No comments:

Post a Comment