Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Chapter 8

A round of finals occurs this week, as well as an enmodes presentation.

I spent a lot of time working and studying my physiology notes that I had made on google docs, so hopefully I’m prepared well enough for lecture. I gave access to my notes to the class and quite a few people were using it, so maybe that means they’re pretty decent. However, for lab I am pretty worried. I don’t understand it well and a lot of it has math in it and for some irrational psychological reason my brain stops working when math outside of a financial context presents itself to me. I spent a lot of time studying my labs and reworking the problems, but when the actual test came, some of the questions were near impossible to answer due to lack of information/study material I was given. However, the lab test does not heavily weigh much into my grade, which is one of the only solace I have about it. I should have spent more time studying for lecture, because when I was going through it, I knew or had just studied the concept recently but the answer had slipped my mind. I know I’m a bad test taker, and one of the main methods I go to overcome that is to overstudy, which was something I didn’t do this time around. 

We had our enmodes meeting where we presented our updates and ideas to the company. I still feel a bit awkward as I don’t think I contribute well enough as a BIMS major and half the time I don’t understand the concepts my engineering cohorts refer to. Hopefully my inputs and feedback push the project further enough that it gets to where it needs to be after this presentation. I wish we had presented first, to break the ice, but a lot of people went to the bowling social so communication was a bit disconnected for a while before I could send the files. (The order of presenting was determined by first come first serve of whoever sent the files.) It’s difficult to solve a problem that professionals have a hard time doing, and every day the more I learn, the less I know. I know that we are essentially working for free, so it’s still a benefit for the company, but I also want to do a good job — not just a decent job.

For the weekend, I went and saw Black Panther at the Kinopolis in my neighborhood. I don't often see movies in theaters, but I really wanted to support this movie due to its potential importance in entertainment. It was an excellent movie, with great casting, acting, and story line. I'm still a bit confused on the ending though -- if they were going to show themselves to the world anyways, why did he commit suicide? As a catalyst? Sometimes, I should just not think during movies or else I might get over analytical or potentially find plot holes.

However, after this tough week we have our Paris excursion followed by Spring Break! I guess this can be a practice of delayed gratification. 

No comments:

Post a Comment