Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Hospital visit

After I got home Monday, I just stayed in bed all day with the hope that I will get better shortly. Unfortunately, that wasn't cutting it so I went to the pharmacy the next day because the doctors are extremely hard to get right after a holiday. Medicine doesn't work so Wednesday I head to the doctor's office. I get to the doctor's office and the doctor goes from my conclusion you have appendicitis but you need blood work right now and we just closed our lab so you need to go to the hospital. As I'm walking to the hospital I'm texting Nick (coordinator). He goes how did the doctor's visit go did you get medicine? I go "no." Five minutes later "She sent me to the hospital." Nick goes "Wait what? Do you want me to come what's going on? Where are you? What hospital?" real mom like you know. I go "Yes please." I get to the hospital and they take blood and a urine sample right away (and they leave the needle with the tube in my arm in case I need to go into surgery right away) said ok see the doctor. I'm bouncing from room to room and the doctor says I think it's appendicitis. As I'm leaving the office Nick was bouncing from room to room asking where the American was and at this point I am just informed that we have to wait an hour for x-rays. Nick goes they're really treating you like a celebrity here, I go why? He goes you're bouncing from room to room, anyone else and they would be in this room for an hour and that room for an hour and don't get me started on x-rays. I get back with my x-rays and they say it's inconclusive, then the doctor says the blood work and the urine test both are inconclusive so I'm thinking we should operate and look if it's you're appendix if it's not we're leave it and hold you here for one day to do more tests tomorrow. I'm thinking ok this is an ok way to go and I'm talking to Nick and then my mom and we decide to call Dr. Wasser. He goes I'll be right over that doesn't sound right. As Dr. Wasser is coming another doctor comes in and says lie on the table and does the same tests and then walks out. Five minutes later another doctor comes in and says something in German and then I'm told to lie on the table. This doctor doesn't speak English so Nick goes I'll translate at the end. I'm lying on the table and this doctor walks over and puts this big x on my stomach and then after a quick conversation storms out of the room. I'm like what just happened? Nick goes, so that was the number two of the hospital. He wants to operate right now and has a knife that he can get. Nick told him we're waiting on Dr. Wasser and the doctor goes while you ladies talk I'm going to take a smoke. Dr. Wasser gets to the hospital but right before he does Nick is like ok Dr. Wasser should be here so I'll wait outside to get him. After he does this a nurse comes in who only speaks German and says follow me (that took awhile to figure out). I follow her and she leads me to another room for the insurance and I'm carrying Nick's and my stuff (because I came super prepared don't ask me why but I brought enough stuff in case I needed to stay at the hospital). The nurse looks at me and grabs my arm right where the needle is and says something. I'm like what? She then grabs my arm really hard and pulls my forearm to my shoulder and taps my bicep. I'm in deep pain because she just pushed the needle in super hard and my hand starts to go numb. I'm like ok ok yeah I'm strong thanks. Dr. Wasser shows up and after taking care of insurance we talk to the doctors. The doctor says the same thing and Dr Wasser goes yeah that sounds right actually let's do that. So then I'm ushered into my room and Nick goes in with me, and this nurse follows. He goes she wants you to change so I'm like ok just give me a minute. As I'm about to take my shirt off she starts talking really fast in German and then Nick goes ok I'll translate word for word. She wants to shave you. I'm like ok that's fine just give me a few minutes. He goes no she wants to shave you right now,  and she wants to know if shes old enough or if you want an older nurse (She's like 24) I'm like no she's fine and ok. I'm lying on the bed and she's shaving and Nick goes, ok umm how do I say this... she wants you to take off you're pants. I'm like wow Nick just wow. After this is all done I get wheeled into surgery and my hand is super numb at this point. I'm like my hand is going numb is this normal and the doctor is like no and just takes it out. He then goes do you want to meet a native New Zealander? And I'm like sure, he tells me his name and I'm like why would a New Zealander come to Germany? He goes a woman. (I'm thinking it must be one hell of a woman). The doctor then says ok say bye to the New Zealander he might be the last New Zealander you ever talk too. I'm like I don't want to die... And after surgery was done I got out Saturday and my friends came to visit so it was an adventure!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment