Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Cherry Blossoms and Reminiscing - Germany Week 14


              The weather this week was absolutely beautiful. Most of the week and weekend was spent studying and preparing for finals, but it was so nice to be able to sit out on the back porch and study. My host family and I also ate several meals outside, which was a nice change. The cherry blossoms on Alte Stadt were also in full bloom this week and it was so pretty. I am pretty sure I went down the street everyday taking tons of pictures. The streets were so crowded, with people taking pictures and shops spilling into the road. It was so lively and a wonderful distraction from my tests.
              After 2 tests for the week and a lot of lectures to wrap up classes, the weekend came. On Saturday, there was a flea market in the Rheinaue. There were so many stands! And so many people! We spent hours there and I feel as if we barely saw half of it. This day was also really warm, which hopefully will help prepare me for the shift back to Texas. I think we all ended up buying something to take home. Sunday was another day spent studying for my physiology test on Monday, so nothing fun to talk about then. However, my host dad some made vegetable lasagna and it was really good! My host brothers seemed to pick through it searching for the meat, but I enjoyed it!
              It is hard to believe that there is only 2 weeks left in the program. The closer it gets to going home, the more anxious I am to get home. I am so ready to see my family and friends and be back in a familiar place. Now, Bonn has become my home and has definitely become more familiar to me after these past 4 months. But nothing beats being back home in College Station. While I am ready to be home, I also know that I will miss Bonn so much. I will miss how convenient it is to just run to Rewe or Backwerk for lunch during a long day at the AIB. I will miss the 1 euro gelato and crepe stands scattered throughout the city. Now that the weather is a little nicer, I will miss the weather. So far, the hottest it has gotten is around 80F. Now, I was not a fan of how cold it was for so long, but a summer with a high of 80F would be nice. I will miss all of the bakeries and the delicious bread that they have here. Most importantly, I will my host family so much. They have welcomed me into their home and taken care of me for the past 4 months. It has been crazy living with 4 boys, especially considering I’ve only ever had one brother, but it has been such an experience. My host parents have always been so kind and helpful and they’re always making sure I have everything I need. Bonn has become my home away from home, and a piece of me will always remain here.



No comments:

Post a Comment