Thursday, January 24, 2013

So far so good


I cannot believe that we have already been in Germany for nearly two weeks! The days keep disappearing faster and faster and so do my initial anxieties. My host mom is great, and I am so glad that Lauren and Paige get to share her with me. And just so you know, the pudding she gives us is AMAZING like none found back home! It has taken nearly this whole time to figure out the city and the transportation system, but now after getting lost, walking in circles and taking the wrong trams I think I've pretty much got it down.  The same goes for the weather. After 9 days of below freezing temperatures and mixing different clothing items together, I can say with confidence that I can walk outside and not freeze. Even though it is quite cold, I enjoy being outside whether it is walking to school or jogging along the Rhein, and the previous snowfalls have made for a beautiful view especially from my window overlooking the river. The best part of a cold day is eating a hot meal and most of the time it has been a GOOD hot meal; however,  there have been a couple German dishes that have been a little iffy, buy how many people back home can say they've had potato cakes and fish with applesauce?!

Throughout this past week, I have noticed that the people here aren't really different from those in Texas. They are very helpful and usually very nice. They work, shop, hang out, and enjoy their drama filled television shows just like many Texans. The people of Bonn are essentially the same except for the different language, way of life, and altogether their different culture which I cannot wait to learn more about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment