Sunday, January 27, 2013

Kaleidoscopic.

     First and foremost, I must state that this is my first post. Yes, it has been long overdue. And quite frankly, I have the smallest idea of where I should start...hmm.
     By now, we are all settled into our new homes, sharing dinner with our wonderful host families, and exchanging traveling ideas with our fellow classmates-all of which are very thrilling to say the least! I can't say that this is all what I expected because to be totally honest, I didn't know what to expect. I should elaborate on that. It has been through experience that I have learned to keep my expectations almost non-existent. Not that I recklessly and blindly emerge into things without the slightest idea of what will happen. Never that. But more so to be swept away by the surprises and everything else that life in a different country has to offer! With that clarified, I planned to not plan too much about this excursion! Sounds silly, I know. (I did of course plan my economic budgets, class schedules, and important stuff haha, no worries)
    Up to now, classes have seemed to be running pretty smoothly. German class is always funny. My pronunciation is slowly but surely improving and the fact that none of us are native Deutsch speakers, makes the process easier and less embarrassing. Ser gut! The local tours have been fruitful. The Ahrtal vineyard tour has been one of my favorites! The scenery was spectacular, and I really enjoyed learning about the wine I shamelessly indulged in! It makes great pep talk for future cocktail parties ;D
    To not deviate too far from my primary purpose which also explains my title of choice (Kaleidoscopic.), I'd like to say that the excursion to Köln was absolutely amazing! Of course the city is rich with history, and the Lindt Chocolate Museum was a delight (ergo, my picture below)

; however, it was the tour of the Cathedral that left me without words-which doesn't happen very often.  The delicate embroidery on the arches, the laborious detail that covers it entirely, the edgy and rough tones caused by pollution over time, the dangerous peaks, and most importantly, the huge stained glass  windows (mosaics) all collided to construct a beauty that pictures, my words, and even a personal visit, could never accredit well-enough. To this statement, I add by saying that my personal favorite mosaic was that designed by Gerhard Richter. With his unique placement of the 72 color-pattern and excellent use of abstract art, it was love at first sight.

     I won't be over it any time soon. Eh, love me.  Lastly, if anything can describe my German experience so far, it would (without a doubt) be this beautiful kaleidoscope of colors. A merged delight. Hooray for little-to-no planning! 

Until next time (which won't take as long as this initial post did),

Jess (:



No comments:

Post a Comment