Monday, January 14, 2013

Meeting new people

I arrived at the airport 2 hours before they even allowed me to check my bags in. I guess I am a little bit excited for my time in Germany. But every mistake has its silver lining. I happen to sit next to a man who had just gotten off a 5 month stint on a cargo ship. And what are the chances of this, he was from Germany! I heard him speaking on the phone in a language that sounded strangely like the one I had learned for 2 years in high school. After he finished his call I instantly introduced myself, asked if he was from Germany, and apologized for listening in on his phone call. We were both waiting for the same flight so we instantly started talking about his work and what I would be doing in Germany while I was there. We spent the entire 2 hours talking about work and school and even politics and family.

My mood during this experience went from being apprehensive of what to expect from the natives to being overly excited to meet them and have more conversations like the one I just experienced.

When I finally got in line to check in, a couple with british accents stood behind me. I figured, introducing myself worked with the german, why not the english. So I dove in. We had a 30 minute conversation about them having family in Texas and giving me advice about traveling around Europe.

Last night I was out at dinner with my Aunt who is from Malaysia in Houston's China Town eating traditional Malaysian grub. We ordered some calamari which I had tried before and remembered as squishy onion rings. When the order came out I was surprised to find a tiny little squid on my plate. Head, eyes, mouth, tentacles, suction cups... all of it deep fried. At first, I moved it to the side of my plate thinking I could say I was too full to finish it after the meal had finished. But my aunt caught me. She explained to me how the head was the best part of the squid and that I should try it as the first step on my new, exciting adventure that is about to commence.

I am so excited right now that I have no fears. I knkw this is going to affect my outlook on life from the day I get there to the day I leave. Hell, its already started and I haven't even left Houston yet! Here's to memories for a life time.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment