Friday, January 25, 2013

Grandpa Joe


I do not know what to say about my first week in Bonn, Germany. It has been the best week of my life but also a hard one personally. The death of my Grandpa Joe was not how I imagined starting my semester here in Germany ( it was rather sudden). I am saddened by his death as I will no longer see him ( I haven't seen him in 3 1/2 years).  I had planned on flying out to see him as soon as I landed back in the States. It was particularly hard for me because although he wasn't my grandpa by blood he was more of a grandfather to me than my real grandpa.

So what exactly can I say? No, rather what should I say? That I am currently having the most fun time in my life with a big smile on my face as if nothing is wrong? I can. I do. I act as if nothing is wrong only in efforts to forget because I am so angry at him for listening to those stupid doctors.  I want to yell at him, at everyone.
It breaks my heart that he couldn't afford to have a funeral for himself so he donated his body to science instead. Something that I give my utmost respect to. But he won't be regarded as the man I saw him, rather a lesson to young medical students.

I hate to burden this blog with something so depressing but we were asked to post about our experiences so far here in Germany. Today marks one week. And I have so many new experiences that I am eager to talk about but I cannot just easily forget what happened. No matter how hard I try, it dawns on me that he is still dead. Gone. Oh, what I would give to say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment