Friday, January 25, 2013

It's only been a week and a half?!?

It's been a week and a half and I feel like I have already done so much!!  I have mastered my tram commute to Central Bonn, started classes, learned some very basic German, toured a vineyard, and feared for my life atop the Cologne Cathedral!  With so much already going on I am already beginning to feel behind on my classes and worry that I will only get busier.  My biggest challenge will be time management but I will find a way to fit everything in.  I want to experience as much as I can because this is a once in a lifetime trip!!

One of the most difficult adjustments for me has been the temperature though. I knew it was going to be cold, and I was prepared for it to be cold, but I don't think I will ever get used to having to put on so many layers to go outside.  I still think it's weird walking to class through snow and ice, something I have never really had to deal with before.  However, I am learning to embrace it and how to dress appropriately for it even though I fear that I will only get used to the cold when it begins to warm up.  Apart from the weather though, I'm loving everything else about Germany and Bonn.  I love walking past what seems like hundreds of bakeries while on my way to class.  I admire the aromas as I pass and have to fight the urge to go in every time (so far my favorites to buy are the 'schoko croissant' and 'apfelstrudel').  Also, the architecture with the landscape and river are incredible and are a wonderful change of scenery from suburbia back home.  This country and it's culture are so different from home and I am ready to embrace as much of it as I can in the next few months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment