Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hallo

I think it's time I write my second post on this blog.
I had not done so before because I've been busy having the time of my life on this trip.
From the time I got here, I've had snow-ball fights, sledded, visited a vineyard, drank German beer, gone clubbing, walked on the tops of a Cathedral, eaten weird foods, attended a minimal house music rave-sort-of-thing, and, most importantly, made great new friends. 
Waking up for my first time in Germany, and looking out of my quaint-but-efficient room's window, I saw this:
, and thought, "Damn yo, it be chilly out thurr." But then I realized that I was in freaking Bonn, Germany, that I was looking at snow for the 3rd time in my life, and that a new chapter of my life had begun; and I smiled.

From then, time has gone quickly, yet richly; with ages worth of experiences occupying single days. The Thursday of that fist week, I went sledding on a snowy hill a couple meters from my house. Jordan, Kirstie, Kristen and I had a great time trying not to run over little Germans on the fast-enough ride down the slope, and, after a couple of hours and only one fall
we went back to my house and drank and ate gracefully offered mulled wine and chocolates.
Friday we met the Mayor, and went on a tour of Bonn in which a never-ending snowball fight was foreshadowed. Then we went to Koln to celebrate Stephanie's 21st birthday. A few of us got there early and were contently surprised that it was happy hour in the first bar into which we walked. We met up with the others a bit later at a bumpin' club a block down a well-lit German street, and we boogied away the rest of the night. Saturday we won the welcome party with a perfectly executed line dance and some antagonizing yells planned 5 minutes prior. (Biosciences!). We celebrated our victory by going ice-skating. Sunday we met at the train station that had quickly become the default meeting place due to its convenient location in the center of Bonn and its hourly available trains to Ko:ln and the rest of Europe. From there, we took a private charter to a vineyard in Ahrtal. We took a tour up the hills but heard almost none of the information our wine conoseur of a German tour guide was trying to instill on us because war had broken out. There was snow everywhere, and we didn't know what else to do with it other than throw it at each other. I was ruthless. Everyone got snow-pelted; no exceptions, except for Kirstie and Justin who were safely indoors due to faulty knees. We had a very tasty dine and wine before we headed back to Bonn. In the second week, classes left us with little time for much else, but we still got to try a couple of bars in Bonn, and I accustomed myself to get a tasty latte macchiato from the Bagel Brothers nearest HBF before class. Thursday we toured Ko:ln with Frans, a very dry humored native, in freezing weather. In a bit of time that we got off the tour, some of us went to the Lindt Chocolate museum where we had the best hot chocolate ever, as you can tell from Roberts so-tasty-it's-confusing face.

After the chocolate, we went to the cathedral in Ko:ln. But we didnt just go in the cathedral - no! We went on the cathedral. Up on a sketchy-McSketch-sketch elevator, and on the roof, into the workshops, and up again to the tower with a view as beautiful as the wind was cold. 

Later, the few of us who would not let a little cold deter us from a free beer went on the bar scene tour back in Bonn. Friday after class we each went home, but then I met up with Kirstie, Jordan, Kristen, and another friend and went to a club in Koln that plays minimal house music. I loved it. But the experience wore me out and I ended up falling asleep in da club, and then later, in da bed like a warmly dressed rock.
Saturday was recoup and Wall-E day, and today is homework.

That's all for now folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment