Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Woch Vier: Vienna // Buda & Pest

The beginning of this week, I experienced a part of my Hero's Journey in that I had a death a rebirth. However, I do believe that throughout this trip I will have multiple instances of death and rebirth, so this is one of many. Then it was off to Vienna!

Vienna

We got into Vienna quite early and Mitchell, Jack, Austen, and I were all "homeless". We got our rooms eventually and went out to go to our first destination where we met Dr. Schnabel (I cannot spell but it was Dr. Wasser). We toured around Vienna which is a really nice city and the food is really good as well. The only problem was that Vienna as a city was not the cheapest city to travel to. The museums were very interesting and different than other museums that we have been to thus far. In one of the museums, the wax displays were absolutely phenomenal, with so much detail and care into the craft of it. The work that they were able to do was impressive because they did not have the technology that we use today to diagram body systems. Vienna is very pretty. From the Schonbrunn Palace to the Library, it was all so elegant. If Evans looked like the Austrian National Library I would be able to study there all of the time, or maybe not.  The library is so beautiful that I would just look around all day. The best museum in Vienna was the Natural History Museum. It showcased so many different animals and species, from the time of the dinosaurs to the modern era. The exhibit on dogs was splendid and had fun interactive activities. The night lights in Vienna were very pretty, especially at the Rathaus. Outside of it, there were booths and an ice skating ring all covered with string lights of a variety of different colors. Against the Rathaus and the festivities of a skating rink and food stalls, the lights seemed more spectacular than they probably were. Vienna was very bright indeed.

Budapest

We left Vienna and went to Budapest. When we got there, I was welcomed with flattering night lights from the city. We then went to our airbnb, and little did we know, there was another family that was staying there. They were sort of strange and did not say many words to us for the two nights we stayed, but they respected our space and we respected theirs. Also, on this trip I was enlightened on the many different ways that people travel, and some of them are not for me. On the first day, Mitchell and I went for a run, and it started snowing while we ran. We found some pretty cool views on our run and when we made it back to the airbnb, we headed to the hot baths that Budapest is famous for. The baths were lovely, as it was over 20º C warmer in the water than outside of it. This adventure really made me appreciate spa treatment. We left after a few hours and lunch was cheaper than a couple train tickets. Me and Mitchell's lunch together costed around $6, while in other parts of Europe, that would be the cost of an appetizer or salad. Food in Hungary was very cheap the entire weekend and it definitely made my wallet feel a bit heavier. Adventuring around a foreign country is a lot better than partying in a foreign country, in my opinion. That night, we went up to the statue of the lady on top of the hill in Buda, and the ensuing sight was awesome. All of Budapest was lit and we could see for miles because this hill was so high. The next morning we did even more adventuring around town and travel without crowds is very calming and nice. I found out that I am not a big art or history museum goer and that I enjoy interactive activities over factual and lecture like ones. The tour of the Parliament building showed how much I could appreciate excessiveness. The whole place seemed comparable to a palace and it was strange to think that people lived there. The tour guide also had an interesting voice and he had a very strange sense of humor with his jokes. The Parliament building was wonderful and night as well, and I really do think that I have learned a lot throughout this trip thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment