Friday, February 9, 2018

Ich bin zwanzig/ Gehen Leverkusen!!

accidentally left this post as a draft two weeks ago..whoops



Lunch at Gaffel
Dom Rooftop View
Our program travelled to Cologne last weekend and had a packed and interesting itinerary. We started off with a tour of the city, led by Mr. Jungeblodt, who pointed out many peculiar things and shared some fun facts about Cologne. Legend has it, the city was built by hard working dwarves who were scared away by the queen; this ultimately being the reason as to why people from cologne nowadays are considered lazy. Fun fact number 2: Kölners don’t like people from the opposite side of the Rhine, due to events dating back to the Roman occupation. After the tour, we ate lunch at Gaffel, then headed over to an old Gestapo office and prison. It was chilling and sobering to see the cells where innocent people were detained and to read their inscriptions covering the walls. Next on our schedule was a rooftop tour of the dom. We began our tour with a ride up a rickety construction elevator and ended with a breathtaking panoramic view of the city. Most people left for Belgium after seeing the dom; however, due to an unexpected airbnb cancellation, Maddie, Lauren, Katie and I stayed the weekend in Cologne, which ended up being a great time. Friday night, after making the hour trek to our Airbnb on the opposite side of the Rhine, we ate authentic Italian pizza, were given a free licorice shot, and purchased a liter coke bottle of wine haha. The next day we stopped by the Schokoladenmuseum. We visited several Kölsch breweries recommended by my host family on Saturday night, and hopped on a train back to Bonn Hbf Sunday morning.    

Colorful Buildings in Cologne
School finally kicked in, as the homework load increased this week. Despite having to dedicate more time to homework, I managed to spend some quality time with my host family. On Tuesday night, I went to see a Spanish classical concert at a music hall near the Beethoven Haus (My host dad had an unexpected meeting, so I went with my host mom as his replacement). A violist, piano player, Spanish guitarist, and singer performed several lovely arrangements, including Flamenco music.
We went as a program to the House of History on Thursday. Dr. Wasser led our group through the museum and explained how Germany transitioned from World War 2 rubble to the world power it is today. That evening, I met up with several other students at Sausalitos to celebrate my 20th birthday. I got to try bartending for the night. I had a blast hanging out with everyone, and some funny memories were made. Friday was filled with classes and a larger group get together that night. I’ve enjoyed getting to know people I didn’t know that well before the program.

My Saturday was spent working on homework. I had to get caught up with it eventually. On Sunday, several AIB programs met up to watch the Bayer Leverkusen match against FSV Mainz. Our seats were close to the field, and the game was exciting to watch. Plus, the stadium sold some pretty good bratwurst. Leverkusen won 2-0 and dominated FSV Mainz, even with the continuous roar from the Mainz fan section. Woohoo Gehen Leverkusen!! I’m so pumped for our long excursion to Vienna and weekend in Budapest! Time flies when you’re having fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment