Sunday, February 11, 2018

Adventures in Germany: Week 4

Guten Abend!

So last week I blogged about how I went to Vienna for the week which was just magnificent.  The weekend after, a few others and myself separated from the pack and went to Munich for the weekend.  Our four hour train ride was quite pleasant, and it definitely didn't feel like four hours.  Once we arrived in Munich, it was quite late so we booked it to our hostel nearby.  Thankfully, the hostel was AMAZING compared to our last hostel in Brussels.  It was basically like a hotel, and the four of us got our own room and bathroom.  I truly felt like I was staying in the Taj Mahal for the weekend it was divine.

The next morning we had to wake up HELLA early to catch our train to Fussen.  Unfortunately, our hostel did not have a complimentary breakfast, but that was ok since we were able to get cheap croissants and sandwiches at the Hauptbahnhof.  I think all of us didn't realize that we cutting it real close to make our train until we had less than 5 minutes to board.  It felt like I was running on the Amazing Race in order to make the train!  Nevertheless, we boarded our 2 hour train ride to Fussen which was just magical.  Seeing the Alps become closer and closer as we made our way was a sight to see.  Once we arrived, we quickly took a bus to Neuschwanstein castle to reserve our tickets for the tour.  Finally seeing the castle in person was magnificent. It's quite a weird feeling finally being there in person after seeing it in pictures all my life.  Since we got there so early, we were able to take our time climbing the mountain and getting to take in all the sights around us.  It began to snow as we ascended which made the whole location even more like a Winter Wonderland.  Finally, we got to the top and were allowed to take part of the inside tour!  I was surprised to hear that after King Ludwig's death, work progression on the castle was halted indefinitely and the entire second floor was still unfinished!  However, the palace itself was extraordinary.  It was fun to learn about all the different stories each room had to offer.

After the tour was completed, we decided to take a break and eat lunch on the hillside cafe.  Since I had ran out of money the day before, I got the cheapest item on the menu which was the potato soup. However, it was very delicious and filling and I definitely did not need anything else.  After lunch, we decided to start exploring around the mountain.  We found an off-road path that easily quenched our hunger for hiking and adventures.  At a hidden creak nearby, I had my first tumble of the day which would not be my last.  After what seemed like a mile of climbing, we finally reached the upper road which led to the Marienbruke bridge which overlooked the castle.  Even though the bridge was closed for renovations our mischievous selves decided to go against the system and cross it anyway.  Breaking the rules was entirely worth it because the view was absolutely breathtaking.  Never in my life have I ever been more taken aback by a landscape.  It felt like I was on top of the world.  After putting my jaw back into place, we decided to keep going along the trail to continue our hike.  It quickly became very apparent that we were not prepared as the hike became increasingly difficult.  However, we eventually found an alcove overlooking the castle.  I thought the view from the bridge was unbelievable but this was even better.  Seeing the castle from those heights made the treacherous hike worth it.



It was quickly getting late, as we probably only had about an hour to get down the mountain before the Sun set completely, so we decided to head back.  On the way down I tried to do a cool jump trick which was so dumb because I fell right on my butt and cut my hand open.  Alas, the things you do to make yourself look cool.  Fortunately, I didn't fall again and we all made our way back with only minor cuts and bruises.  The snow began to fall even harder while we awaited our train to return to Munich, and I think all of us by that point were begging to be warm again.  Once we made it back, we quickly returned to our humble abode before calling it a night.  I think we all had intentions of going out that night but our exhaustion put a stop to those plans real quick.

The next morning we got to sleep in before our treacherous 8 hour bus ride back to Bonn.  Even though the wifi completely sucked while on the bus, I was able to make it the whole ride without becoming too bored or stiff.  Thankfully, our bus was on time the whole way and we weren't stuck with any delays.  Even though my trip had been incredible the whole way through, I was glad to be back at home and in my own bed for the night.

It was pretty rough having to go back to school for the next week but thankfully I didn't have much homework to do.  This week in VIBS 311 I completed my first draft for our first essay of the semester which was a relief to finish.  We've also started making progress on our Enmodes presentation which is proving to be quite the task.  My responsibility for my small group is to figure out the best way to implant the tubes inside the body without too much bodily damage.  I still don't even know where to begin on solving that problem.  However, I have a solid group to back me up so I am not worried too much yet.  We also had a full week's worth of Physiology which might be daunting for some but Dr. Wasser always makes his lectures fun and tangible.  This upcoming week we have our Pharmacology workshop which I am looking forward to immensely because I love the subject.  This weekend is also KARNEVAL, which deserves its own post so I will write about that next week!

Until then,

Tschuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment