Monday, February 5, 2018

Let's just pretend I posted this last week || January 28, 2018


Time really flies by when you’re having fun. Or when you’re scouring the internet for cheap flights. Or if we're being honest, when you're doing literally anything other than your homework. This past week has been packed with classes (we usually have three or four classes each day, 75 minutes each) and lunch is the highlight of every day just because it's a nice break and there's always something new to try. I’ve found that it’s very hard for me to stay focused on the lectures when there are so many in a row, especially since I haven’t been getting very much sleep. But since having a loaded schedule one week is the tradeoff for all of the fun trips and activities planned the next, it’s hard to complain about being in class so much. Although the scheduling is a lot different than what I’m used to, the real problem is my inability to use my time wisely. I’m already finding myself playing catch up with homework and the content we cover in class, not because it’s too hard but because I’m not really putting the time or effort into it like I should be, and as I plan more and more trips I can just see my grades going down the drain. So my main goal as of now: proactivity—all I need is a little motivation, dedication, and self-discipline (shout out to my Huntsville friends, I hope that makes you cringe just a little!) but it's a little easier said than done.

I spent the weekend in Bonn, and it did not disappoint. After a late Friday night ft lots of loud music, bad dance moves, and a slightly inebriated flight attendant, I spent my Saturday hiking the seven hills. I'd never been hiking before but had always wanted to, so when Kate found a trail to explore I was very excited to join her (with Ibk of course, we are kind of a package deal at this point). The three of us left Bonn Hbf (Bonn cen-tral sta-tion) a little later than we meant to, and after missing our stop, getting kicked off a bus, and a cold wait (plus a tasty crepe) by the Rhein, we finally made it to the trail after about two hours of adventure. And then began the climb! The path was absolutely beautiful—the trees towered over us with sun shining through the leaves (and trust me, sun shining in Bonn is rare so it was an extra special sight). The destination of course was equally as beautiful, both the castle (Schloss Drachenburg) and the ruins were well worth the climb and came with an added bonus of an excellent mountain view. Then on Sunday we went to a professional Fußball match which I thought was a really great experience. I was rooting for Mainz because I like a good underdog (they were ranked 15th in the league vs Leverkusen which was 2nd), plus the spirit and motivation of the Mainz fans we were sitting near was just contagious. Unfortunately they lost, but thanks to tamu I have plenty of experience with my team losing so it was all good!

Notable(ish) events and observations:
- I booked my travel tickets for Spring Break! Can you guess where I'm going?
- They sell small boxes of contacts in the drug stores. It seems like you don't even need a    prescription, but I'd have to look into it to know for sure.
- Had my first döner and falafel experiences--they were both very good and the price is even better!
- I've become a lot more open to eating foods I don't really like since being here, but I draw the line at sauerkraut. Sauerkraut is disgusting.
- When people buy cartons/bottles of drinks in a grocery store, they almost always lay them on their side when they are in the checkout line instead of upright as is customary for me/most Americans.
- My new favourite snacks: butterkeks and paprika flavored potato chips. I've also become quite addicted to orange juice and that's all I ever drink when I'm at home.

Photo dump:







No comments:

Post a Comment