Sunday, February 18, 2018

The week I learned the importance of respect and compromise

This Monday was a special Monday. The most important day of Karneval, Rosenmontag. The entire reason we had booked an airbnb in Cologne was because of this day. I had heard of this day months before even departing for Germany. This day was notorious for the massive parades, elaborate parties and excessive alcohol consumption. Katie, Emily, Madeline and I woke up and jumped out of bed. We wriggled into our costumes for the last time, even though they smelt of sweat and beer. We went out the door and into the madness. We passed through hoards of people screaming "Alaaf" and "Kamelle" in desperation to fill their already brimming candy bags. After grabbing a bite to eat, we soon joined them. For three hours, we stood on the curb celebrating with the masses. About halfway through, a blunt wind brought in a gust of snow flurries. It was truly a sight to behold. Once we decided our fingers had frozen enough for the day, we popped into an asian restaurant for dinner. We braved the cold once more to get back to the airbnb. We dropped off our earnings from the day and fixed up our costumes.  We decided to go to a club called "Roonburg". During our last trip to cologne we had heard this club was infamous for its nightlife. The night ended around four in the morning and we trudged back to the airbnb for the night. 

Tuesday morning. Alarms were blaring, the sunlight was blinding. We hastily cleaned and packed up our stuff. We headed out the door and walked toward the tram station. Barely making it in time for the next train to Bonn. We arrived safely and split up. Madeline and I decided to go home first before heading to the AIB for classes. Once classes were finished for the day, a group of us stayed to discuss spring break plans. Originally, a group of twelve decided to expand our study abroad to the African continent. However, two suddenly dropped out. With their cancellation, the price for the ten others increased significantly. People had begun to panic with major concerns for our financials and safety. Madeline and I agreed that the cost both to our wallet and our livelihood was no longer worth pursuing this trip. We decided to express our concerns to the group before making any final decisions. The group decided it was best to meet and discuss the situation. Everyone's frustrations were very apparent during this meeting. Most remained mature and worked to find a solution that would be fair to everyone. However, others turned something that was just a bad situation into a personal attack. Tension rose as insults and glares were thrown across the room. This was the first time I was forced to deal with conflicting preferences in this manner. I tried to base my argument on the facts of the financial situation. My agenda was to find a solution that would cost the least for the most amount of people. However, there were others who disagreed and believed alternatives were more fair. In the end, we decided to give everyone time to cool down. 

Wednesday was off to an early start. Madeline and I got breakfast on our way to the bus stop. Once on the bus we sat in the back row which consisted of six seats. It was very clear that hostility still existed between opposing parties in the Morocco group. I decided it was best to put that behind so I could fully enjoy the Bayer excursion. At Bayer, we learned about the process of creating and marketing new drugs. I was surprised to hear about the time it takes to bring a new drug to market. The amount of research, testing, paperwork, and most importantly, money, that comes with a new pharmaceutical is astounding. I have been struggling lately with my career path. Biomedical engineering is not an easy major. Since my arrival, there has been a strong temptation to leave that path behind and start anew at medical school here. However, the presentation at Bayer reminded me about the potential within the biomedical field. Although a decision still needs to be made, it was refreshing to be reminded of why i chose this path in the first place. If I continue on this path, I would throughly enjoy a job or internship at Bayer. Their connection between human and environmental health perfectly parallels with my two passions. Plus, it opens the opportunity for me to live in various countries which is extremely important to me. After a brief nap on the bus and quick lunch we headed back to the AIB for classes. Following classes, was another Morocco meeting. At this point everyone was tired of dealing with the drama and hostility. We all wanted a solution. This meeting went similar to the first, but we were more focused on finding a solution than fighting. We finally reached a compromise that I believe everyone found peace in. Although the situation was mended, some personal relationships remain broken. I was disappointed and hurt to see someone I considered a close friend completely turn on me due to money. I feel like the attacks they made both on me and my family were completely unwarrented and absolutely false. I am frustrated because I enjoyed the company of this person and it hurt to see them attack me so quickly. Despite all of the drama, I learned a lot about myself and others. I learned the importance of respecting people with differing opinions. I learned the importance of removing emotions from a conflict. I learned to prioritize relationships over money. This was a bad situation that was the result of our collective faults, not any individuals. 

Thursday was another day of classes. We had a large break between our first and second classes in which I was able to do some homework. Stress levels are higher than normal with exams and due dates fast approaching. Nothing really happened out of the ordinary on Thursday. The most exciting thing was I went to bed early. 

Friday was nice because we finished class at 13. Normally we have classes from 9:00 to 17:00 or 18:00. That time schedule is extremely draining, so it was nice to have the afternoon off. For lunch, we celebrated Galentine's. I think this was much needed after the Morocco explosion. It was almost soothing to see people genuinely happy and excited about doing something for someone else. Once that was over, Madeline and I went home, thankful that the week was over. We did homework, ate dinner and commenced our Friday night ritual of watching Harry Potter. It was a much needed peaceful evening. 

Saturday, my host mom took me to meet and ride her horse. We went up into the mountains near our house and explored the riding trails. I have been riding since I was a little girl. I have gone on many trail rides in different terrains, but none compared to this. It was absolutely serene to be surrounded by the tall pine trees covered in leftover snow. Hearing the leaves crunch under the horse hoofs accompanied by a variety of bird songs.  I have always had a deep appreciation for nature. This is why I continue to be vegetarian and limit my carbon footprint. In nature, I can retreat from all the stress, social pressures, and chaos. It provides perspective and forces me to realize that the world is much larger than all my anxieties and routines. A reminder I desperately needed after this past week. After our afternoon ride, Astrid and I went to the grocery store then home for dinner. Two of her friends came for dinner and game night. We divulged into a large pan of vegetable lasagna. Then we shared many laughs while playing "Uno" and "Randomise". Randomise is a card game in which one card is chosen from the A, B and C piles. The player than must either draw, describe or act what is on the cards. The words were relatively simple, but the language barrier put a new twist on the game. It made it more difficult but we shared many laughs over the struggles. The night ended after we indulged in eggnog cake. 

Sunday began with our family breakfast. I noticed that the conversation flowed more naturally. The bond between Astrid and I, and Nia and I have definitely strengthened compared to when I first arrived. The conversation evolved from topics like the weather to more personal stories. We can now joke with each other without causing any offense. It makes me happy to see that I am no longer just their guest. It feels now as though I am part of the family, which is a feeling I have missed since leaving mine in Texas. After breakfast, Madeline and I went for a run through the city. I practiced yoga to stretch my tightened muscles. My body is more acclimated to walking up to five and six miles a day than it was before, but I still enjoy a nice stretch. After, we decided to translate our productivity toward schoolwork. We have our first differential equations exam this week which is making everyone nervous. Our professor is still very difficult to understand and quite terrible at providing us with examples of problems. I think our concerns arise more from not knowing what will be on the test than the difficulty of the material. Anyway, I am hopeful that this coming week will be better than the last. I am eager to find clarity regarding my career path and excited to plan new adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment