Monday, February 5, 2018

Sometimes Vienna is just Vienna || February 2, 2018

I didn't love Vienna nearly as much as everyone else seems to have, but this was no fault of the city itself. It was a rather nice place (except for the flower lady, stay tuned), and I really want to go back one day and experience it right because I feel like it didn't get a fair shot. But even so, this trip taught me that you can't expect every new European city you visit to be the trip of a lifetime. Sometimes it's just another city.

Since my throat felt a little scratchy on Monday, it was no real surprise to me when we arrived in Vienna on Tuesday and I felt like I'd caught the plague. We went on tour after tour that day, and for the life of me I just could not pay attention or enjoy anything we were seeing. My head hurt, my throat hurt, my nose was runny yet congested, I was coughing up a storm, and to top it all off we were walking all over town for hours and I was absolutely freezing. But it wasn't all bad. 
The best part of that day was definitely the goulash.
But the funniest/weirdest/what-the-heck-just-happened-est part? 
Definitely flower lady. 
Here’s some background info: one of the tourist schemes in Vienna is when a woman comes up with a handful of roses and offers one, then demands a “donation” for it. These women are very persistent and came up to our group many, many times over the course of the week, but here’s the story of my first encounter.
Setting: Random street in Vienna.
Scene: I’m walking along, following the rest of the tour group when a couple ladies come along with roses. They hand them to three or four people near me at the back of the group, and we all just keep walking and joking about having the guys use them to try to pick up some Viennese women. Before long I end up with one of the roses and the lady approaches me from behind, asking for a donation. I tried to give the rose back to her instead, and at this point all of the other roses had been returned so she was especially annoyed and refused to take it. But I just kept saying “Here” and offering it to her, making it clear that I wasn’t going to give her any money. Eventually I put it directly into her hand at which point she death glared me and said “Here, fuck you!” and that was that!

Tuesday was hands down the best day of the trip. Somehow I felt much better that day and after one group tour in the morning we were free for the rest of the day. Ibk, Izzie, Austen, Joseph, and I went to meet my host parents (my host mom was born in Vienna and they'd already planned to visit for the week) and their friend Elizabeth at Cafe Prünkel. After lunch, we walked to the Belvadere which was formerly a palace, but now an art museum. My host mom got me in for free (it's nice to look young!) and I was very much impressed with the art collection. The landscapes in particular were my favorite pieces and I am definitely imagining how good my future home is going to look with those paintings converted to murals covering my walls. After the museum we went to the Nachtmarkt and had a really fun time trying different foods and getting yelled at by the vendors trying to sell their goods to us. Soon after that we said goodbye to the parents and went on the hunt for a pair of jeans for Joseph and a swimsuit for Izzie. (Notice how neither of those items were for me, yet I still ended up buying things! I'm cursed with an insatiable sweater addiction. Oh well.) And here comes the part where for the first time since being in Europe I actually felt lost.
Setting: TKMaxx. 
Scene: I'd just left the dressing room because I was trying to help Joseph find some pants when the fire alarm goes off. I start heading for the front of the store when I realize I left my coat and my bag from H&M inside the dressing room and run back to get it. I turn the corner and oh schaaade it's not there anymore! Lady #1 starts shooing me out so once again I head toward the front of the store. Lady #2 intercepts me and points me to a side door. (At this point I am one of the last customers in the store, so I enter the stairwell alone.) I go down the stairs a couple of flights and end up in a parking garage. A parking garage from which THERE IS NO ESCAPE. Each exit sign led me to either a dead end or a questionable unmarked hallway with other locked doors. Eventually I ran into Nice Bilingual Lady who also came from TKMaxx and we both tried to find an exit (to no avail). We did, however, find yet another person who DID know how to get out! Helpful Man was a regular of the garage and had just gotten out of his car, and I guess NBL was even more panicked than me because he kept telling her to calm down, that everything was fine, and that he'd lead us out (in German/Austrian of course, NBL translated it all for me). So yeah, he led us through a weird hallway, up some stairs, down another hallway, and eventually out to the front of the strip of stores. The path we took was so odd that I can confidently say I would not have managed it myself, and honestly I considered that he could actually be leading me further into the building complex and I'd have no idea, but luckily he was indeed helpful, just as the name suggests and I found my friends shortly after I got outside. It turned out to be a false alarm and they let us back into the store pretty shortly after that, I found my belongings and both Izzie and Joseph managed to find what they'd come to get, so all in all a successful trip?? After that fiasco, we returned to the hotel to drop off our bags and the left again for a much needed night out. Juuuuust kidding. We did homework. All. Night. Long. (Depressing, I know.)

After about four hours of sleep we started on our Thursday activities and boy was I tired! And once again, sick with the plague. So nothing really stood out to me that day, I just kind of floated along. I was very happy that I got to visit the Freud house, though. Ever since taking Psychology in high school I have been very interested in the field and Freud is an extremely notable and interesting founder of ideas.

On Friday, I checked out the Österreichische Nationalbibliothek, or Austrian National Library, which was honestly paradise for 14-year-old-me. The building itself was a work of art, much like the museums and palaces I’ve seen, and books lined each wall from floor to ceiling. Speaking of the ceiling, it was an art piece which I absolutely loved—it arranged its scenes in ascending layers, making the dome seem taller than it actually was. After that we went to my absolute favorite part of the whole excursion: the natural history museum. If/when I return to Vienna, I will make sure to revisit because there was so much to see but so little time. We only had about 30 minutes to explore on our own after the tour we were on, but I feel like I could've spent 3 hours in there and still wanted to stay longer.

That’s about it for Vienna, a few hours after we left the museum I boarded my flight to Budapest, but there will be more on that in a later post.



Other random comments/funny moments:
The public transportation system in Vienna was the best I’ve experienced so far—it was extremely simple and easy to use.

I absolutely loved the tile work on the roof of the cathedral. I hadn't seen a gothic style construction with tile detail yet, so it really stood out to me.

Me: Hey, Ibk, do I look better with or without glasses? I’m taking a poll.
Ibk: Mmm, I don’t know. I think both look better!
Me: Do you know the definition of better??

[Ibk, Izzie, and I are walking through the Nachtmarkt with Austen]
Vendor: Ooh, three girlfriends?! Lucky man!

We were waiting for the U train when we see a lady literally lift her harnessed dog up to her hands by reeling it in via leash. I don’t think I’ll ever remember that without laughing.



Photo Dump:











No comments:

Post a Comment