Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Karneval!

Week 4

During the week leading up to Karneval, I had my first BMEN 211 test. While I have been here, I have devoted more intellectual effort to my curiosities and travels than my schoolwork, especially when I compare how much I would have devoted to homework and studying if I were on College Station. I believe this is part of the beauty and magic of this trip, I am able to plant seeds of intellect that I may later go back to investigate further and increase my knowledge. I have recently been trying to learn some theology, philosophy, and culture. However, these actions did not benefit me when I approached my 211 exam. However, I did study and prepare some for this test and felt relatively primed for the test. Overall, (knock on wood), I felt like I did relatively well but one question on supermesh and the applications to circuit analysis tripped me up some. I am eager to see how I did on this test.

The week ended early as Karneval began on Thursday with a great parade in Beuel. The parades were unreal! For two or more hours, floats come by, the streets are packed, and everyone around you in jumping up and down yelling "Kamelle! Kamelle!". To top it off, you can't look up because you will get pelted in the face with candy, but you can't look down because you will miss all the fun. All around me, everyone had fun. I even got thrown a small shot bottle and a giant cookie. Also, from this parade alone, I had a lifetime supply of Haribo (so if you ever want some, hit me up because I will always have the hook ups!) Also, during Karneval, the cool-tempered, quiet, hardworking cities of Bonn where talking to a stranger on the bus is uncommon, come alive by dressing up in crazy costumes and face-paint, partying for five straight days, and smiling and laughing all day long. On Thursday night I partied out in Bonn and stopped by a bar to dance some. I had a wonderful night.

I used Friday as mostly a recovery day because I knew I had a long weekend of adventures ahead of me. I slept in and stayed around my host house for most of the day until the evening when I joined Darby and Deanna. We ended up going to the fraternity house of some people they had met the day before. I learned that German fraternities learn some basic fencing as part of being a fox (pledge) and they live in much fancier houses than American fraternities; however, they enjoy parties and drinking just as much. We stayed talking for hours and playing pool.

On Sunday, I participated in a parade by volunteering to help with a physical therapy center's float and members. I helped make sure no one ran underneath the truck and also got to throw candy. It was surprising how many kids will scream at the top of their lungs for candy and beg for it from you. However, my favorite part of the day was the lunch reception after the parade when the volunteers (including me) were invited back to the therapy center for a tour and lunch. I got the opportunity to talk to the program coordinator for the group home and hear his perspectives and opinions. While I don't currently know how I will use this interest, I find myself repeatedly drawn to the disabled community and I would like to dedicate some of my efforts towards improving their situation or better understanding or helping in some way.

On Monday, I went up to Cologne to see the Rosen Montag parade. This was the largest parade around and it was great! I got thrown two flowers and loads of candy. I had a wonderful experience in Cologne. While in Cologne, I drank some Kölsch and ate Currywurst while watching the Rhine.

My favorite parade of the weekend was the parade in Beuel because it was my first parade ever, it was focussed on the women and female empowerment, and it was a relatively small community but large enough that everyone wanted to celebrate and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment