Saturday, February 17, 2018

Day 36

This past week consisted of the Bayer tour and Ash Wednesday/Valentine's Day/Galentines (the latter of which was the best). Since all the Karneval celebrations died down, it was time to get back into the rhythm of school. Thankfully, we got to spend a half day in Leverkusen touring the Bayer Company's communication building, or Baykomm. Prior to the tour, I had no idea that Bayer included a wide variety of companies, from K9 Advantix to Coppertone. I also learned that Bayer is focusing on increasing crop yields and tackling the problems that the world's growing population are causing. Before, I only knew Bayer as the people who make Aspirin, and now I have a newfound respect for the company. The initiatives and investments that they pour into research are impressive, and I would love to work for them someday. For Galentines, we basically did a secret santa type gift exchange and I got the BEST chocolate covered strawberries, peanut butter, and an adorable mug (thanks Claudia!!!) Our Galentines luncheon took place on Friday, and after it Lois, Camella, Deanna, and I decided to go the Bonn Kunstmuseum. The layout of the art museum was unique and confusing, much like the pieces that were in the museum. The pieces ranged from traditional styles to very abstract pieces. There was an entire room that was filled with painted cardboard, and it smelled like the boxes my siblings and I used to play in when we were younger. One artist recreated what looked like the freeze-frame of a car accident, with actual cars, and that made me very glad that I don't have to drive while here. Once we felt that we had became cultured enough to reenter society with a new perspective, we went on a nice walk along the Rhein. We began walking in the Rheinaue, along the riverside, over the Kennedy Bridge, and then home. After a nice meal with my host parents, I met up with my friends again to watch the Olympics. We crowded around a tiny laptop and watched the events that had happened earlier in the day. Once everyone was tired, I had the enlightening experience of riding on a night bus that didn't go along the route I was expecting. I eventually made it home, but it was -2 degrees Celsius and I was freezing. My host mother had left out some hot chocolate that she had made, so that was nice to come home to. Next week is my first math test, so this weekend will be filled with studying, studying, and more studying. Woohoo.
This entire room was just cardboard

I don't understand modern art




No comments:

Post a Comment