Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 1

Well, my first week in Germany is complete, and after getting over the initial excitement and jetlag, I am starting to settle into a comfortable routine.  My host family is great.  My host mom cooks great meals every night, and we all sit down to chat together, often about our different cultures which is very interesting to me.  Their house is in a great neighborhood in south Bonn, no more than a 3 minute walk to the Rhine.  I got slightly lost trying to get home on the first night on my own, but since then I have become more accustomed to the public transportation here in the city.

Bonn really is a great "town."  I put town in quotes because, although it has a population of 300,000 people, it does not feel like a large city.  The city center with its old churches, cobblestone streets, and open-air markets has a charming feel that I've never really experienced in America.  On Saturday, I had the opportunity to walk around the city a bit with a couple of my friends, and we visited the Beethoven House, ate at a nice cafe, and even ran into some sort of political march/demonstration.

I do miss my family and friends back home, but I have really enjoyed getting to know the other students on this trip.  So far, the things I've missed the most from back in the US are being able to use my iPhone anywhere (the Nokia brick we were loaned for use in Germany brings back painful middle school memories), and being able to watch American football games.  Hopefully we'll be able to catch at least some of the Super Bowl despite its very, very late start here in Bonn.

I am very much looking forward to our Cologne excursion next week, and our trip to Vienna which is quickly approaching.  So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment