Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Reflection on my First Week in Germany

A list of what this week entailed: 
1. Getting to AIB
2. Getting to my Host Family's house
3. Traveling in a large group
4. Waking up for class
5. Not speaking the language
6. Ordering food
7. Touring the City of Bonn
8. Beethoven Haus
9. Basketball Game
10. Wine Vineyard 

A couple of these needed a little time getting use to, but AIB has a lot of experience with programs such as this one, and Dr.Wasser has planned out this trip thoroughly which made the transition easy. I was paired with a great Host family who has made me feel at welcome and at home. 
It's refreshing to have large family dinners and discuss about our day and random topics. Waking up to the sound of a cello playing downstairs, kids playing in their rooms, and mom cooking is the complete opposite from my house. In my home I could probably hear a pin drop. Although it is a drastic change I enjoy the company. Today my host family was kind enough to invite me to Telekom vs. Crailsheim basketball game. It was interesting to witness how German fans are as enthusiastic about basketball as people in the states. 


I also had time to visit the Beethoven-Haus with a couple of my peers and took time to appreciate art and music, which is something I don't get to do as often back home. I have absolutely fallen in love with Bonn!!!!! There is so much to do and so little time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment