Sunday, January 11, 2015

Studying abroad in Germany 2015- 1st blog post (ever!)


If I were to write this blog entry in a couple of hours, it would be very different. I am at the stage where my feelings resemble a yo-yo. The dichotomy is composed of extreme contentedness, joy, and excitement about the independence and adventure I will experience and in opposition, great fear of the unknown and sadness about missing my people whom I love back in Texas.  The good thing though is that the more overwhelming emotion is that of positivity and hope. I have been in Europe since the very end of December, so I am thankful I have had time to get over jet lag already. I am going to be staying in a hotel in Frankfurt for a day by myself before the program officially starts though, and I am fairly nervous about carrying all my luggage and figuring out the shuttle by myself. 


I have reflected a lot upon expectations lately. I think expectations have a powerful effect on outcome. I am not yet sure what the ideal formula for forming expectations is in order to maximize positive outcome, but I do know that we, as humans have the ability to form complete and changing expectations. This has a definite correlation to how we interact with the situation when it finally arrives and even beyond that, to how we record our experiences after they have passed. I believe there is a happy medium, just as there is with virtually everything else in life. For now, I am being fairly reserved with my expectations and am going to focus on "living in the moment" and spending energy on the present rather than the future. 

So, cheers to a few months in Europe during which I will focus on being positive every day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment