Monday, January 19, 2015

Only a week ago?

A week ago I left my home and my family but things have been so busy it seems like it has been so much longer than that. Everything here is just so beautiful!! I think I could walk the streets and stare at the architecture for hours. So my first few observations...

...My host family... Is wonderful!!! The food is amazing and the interaction is just enough. At home I am a fairly private person. Last semester was very difficult for me since A&M housing took my sole request of "single occupancy bedroom"  and disregarded it and gave me a room mate in a one bedroom apartment. I really enjoy the time I spend with my host family but I am glad that I do stay in a downstairs room and I can choose how much to or not to interact with them. This also allows me plenty of time to communicate with my husband and children in the evenings without feeling I am being rude and ignoring them. The decision to leave my husband and my children at home was perhaps the most difficult part of the decision to study abroad.

...Communication with home. I love my husband and my children. I really do. But seriously I can not stay up past midnight to talk to them after work/school every night. This will be another adjustment for all of us.

...I have already started to surprise myself. Foods I would not even try at home, I have already eaten here. Activities I would not do at home, I have participated in here. Distances I would not have walked because I am a lazy American, I walk here almost every day now. I have already started to pick up some basic little things in German and I expected that would take me forever.

While there have been some tears for me in this first week, I hope that doesn't get any worse. Part of that problem has been resolved now so hopefully it will be a while before there are more. I can't wait to see what the next weeks and months bring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment